07 Ram 4.7 cold idle too fast

I just traded in my 2000 Dakota Sport for a 2007 Ram 1500 SLT. Very VERY happy with the truck. Before I decided it was time to unload the Dakota, the engine was making a noise during cold starts. I never investigated it any further except I switched back to synthetic oil from the straight weight oil... noise seemed to be less but never went away totally.. so assuming it was something getting ready to fail, I traded it last weekend for an 07 1500 SLT short bed with the 4.7

I loved the Dakota the second I saw the first gen II Dakotas and knew I had to have one. For the few glitches I had with it, it wouldn't prevent me from buying another one. I just love them. 4.7 perfomance is more than enough for the truck even with a 21 foot glass bow rider in tow. stopping could be tricky with the rear drums, but all in all the freak'n truck had heart.

anyhow, my question is technical here. When I start the Ram, it immediately fires up, runs up to 2000 rpms for a second and idles back down to about 1100, and then drops off about a 100 rpms for the next few seconds. Is there ANY way to defeat this so the engine fires up at a lesser rpm? it seems harsh on a cold engine especially in these parts where it routinely drops below 0 in the winter.

Also, during 4-5 upshift, the transmission seems like it goes into the twilight zone and seems like the engine is going to keep reving up. I don't know if this is normal... however, because it still has under 5K on the odometer, I tend to be very light on the throttle and thought maybe this is the reason it was doing this. under heavier throttle it doesn't seem to do it.

Reply to
Roger Rabbid

Ths is part of the startup cycle for engine. It is not really RPM realated the way you think as it is rather throttle positon related. It will not likley climb to 2000 RPM in extreme cold weather as oil will be stiffer. The higher RPM start also helps reduce emissions during starting cycle. It is really quite harmless even if it is anouying. Can't help you with tranny issue but maybe someone else can. That tranny can be a bit quirky though and since it is new you need to voice your concerns about it with dealer.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I'm told the issue with the transmission is part of the learn cycle of the transmission. I've had the truck for 20 days today and it seems to have gone away on it's own. It's smooth, shifts nicely, and the 4.7 pushes it with no effort at all. I managed 22.8 on the hiway with it the other day at 65 under light throttle (according to the display in the headliner). not bad!

Reply to
Roger Rabbid