1990 Dakota dogs out, nearly dies - HELP!!!

We own a 1990 DODGE TRUCK DAKOTA 4WD

6 Cylinders 239 X 3.9L FI

Several years ago, it started running rough and dogging out on acceleration. It was like it was only firing a few cylinders. At first it only happened in the winter or when it was cold and rainy. During the summer, the truck ran totally fine. Come cold weather -- we didn't run because it ran so bad.

Then last fall, it started running rough, and dogging out on acceleration all the time. It got to the point, we couldn't drive it because we couldn't safely depend on the accelerator to go when we pushed it -- through lights and stop signs. The vehicle herked and jerked too much for a sane ride.

The power on the vehicle starts to drain when this happens. The lights dim, and it feels like the engine is going to die though it rarely does.

This happens to us at low or high speed. Speed doesn't matter.

It starts up like a champ -- every time. There are no issues with startup.

We're going nuts. We've had it hooked up to diagnostics. It doesn't find anything.

We've replaced the O2 sensor, the ingition coil, spark plugs and wires -- and insulated them with extra corregated pipe, we got a new cat coverter and muffler system as well -- and it is still happening.

My poor husband is going nuts!! Tonight he is thinking of replacing the EGR value, and potentially buying new fuel injectors for the truck!!!

We don't believe it is a vacuum leak because our idle while it does get high -- it goes back down -- which they say won't happen with a vacuum leak.

Last, we realize it could be a leak in the intake manifold, and it could be the coolant sensor.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. We need this truck desparately. We have upholstered furniture waiting to be picked up. The guy is getting mad at us!!!!

I'd like to be able to help my husband. MANY THANKS!!!!

Reply to
Newsreader

Oh -- after we replaced the O2 sensor, the muffler and cat converter -- the beast ran great for two weeks without a hitch -- approximately 100 miles -- then it started up again as bad as ever!!

That's when we replaced the ignition coil, replaced the 02 sensor again and it didn't fix it.

Reply to
Newsreader

Read the codes in the computer, turn the ignition keyswitch on and off three times(without starting the engine) and count the number of times the (check engine light) in the dash flashes. These are your diagnostic codes, they should help you find the problem. You can find the code chart on line or in any repair book for chrysler products. Good Luck.

Reply to
Tom108

Have you checked the inside of the disributor cap for carbon tracks?

Old_Timer

Reply to
Old_Timer

No...if we found them, what would that mean?

Reply to
Newsreader

I guess our model year didn't have the diagnostic code feature. The Dodge book we bought clearly states it.

Damn! Thanks anyway though.

Reply to
Newsreader

We replaced the EGR value -- and one injector.

IT SEEMS TO BE RUNNING WORSE THAN EVER!!

Reply to
Newsreader

What book might that be?

Reply to
Ed M

Haynes Repair Manual Dodge Dakota Pick-ups 1987-1996

Reply to
Newsreader

That is because they are not ODBII compliant but if the check engine light is on, they can be read with an older style reader.

Reply to
TBone

so, you got one for sale?

Reply to
Dale Yonz

Change you fuel filters and might want to think about the fuel pump

Reply to
Bigtexasshadetree

Sounds like Im being an ass...but...

Stop throwing parts at it....and at this point, it sounds like you could have been fixed, and for less, by simply taking it to a dealer, and allowing them to make the repairs..plus, you have their warranty behind the repairs.

Reply to
webmaster

Damn near thinking about it, I tell you!!!

We've just put in nearly $1000 into this old beast.

Reply to
Newsreader

We do think it might be the fuel pump. We changed the filter. Most of the parts we replaced were due. The truck has 130,000 miles on it.

Today we've scheduled a diagnostic at the dealer.

Watch, they'll tell us it was the fuel pump! Would make sense.

Thanks... I'll keep you posted.

Reply to
Newsreader

It would mean to replace the cap...