1992 Caravan Lighting Gremlins

Hi everyone. My first post.

A few days ago, my 4 year old son was playing with some buttons on my old Caravan. He got scared when the emergency blinkers started blinking. Now, I'm not sure this is not justa coincidence, but ever since that incident (and I don't know what all else he was pressing or how he was pressing) I've had a strange problem with my lighting system.

When I put the headlights on, and slide the dimmer slider just a tad to the right, the interior lights come on and stay on. If I press the switch for the interior lights, whilst the headlights are on, the headlinghts will shut off, but the interior lights will stay on.

If I turn the headlights on, and push the dimmer to the extreme left, I can only get a faint glow from my gauges, but the interior lights remain off. In other words, the interior lights always want to be on when the headlights are on. The hazard lights work normally, it seems.

It is very frustrating. I think my only option is to take out the light bulbs in the dome lights for night driving.

Am I being somewhat clear with my description? Can anyone adivse?

Many thanks.

Puce Blorg

I don't mean to be a smart ass, but have you read the owner's manual?

I think you have a very mis-leading typo in your 3rd paragraph because you state the the interior lights remain off ( I think you meant "on") but also say that the interior lights always want to remain "on" when the headlights are on; a contradiction if took me a few re-readings to figure out. Anyway, if reading the manual doesn't provide the answer, I would look for a selector switch on the interior or "dome" light.

Reply to
Ed H.

Ed, I bought the car used. It doesn't have a manual. I truly don't see how the manual would help even if I had one, though. It's not a matter of me pressing the wrong switches. I did make a typo, indeed, but I don't think you understand the gist of this problem in any case. I'll try to elaborate. The problem is that the switches are not working as one would anticipate them to be. The lights all worked fine until a few days ago I point out, once again.

Do you ever drive at night? If you do, normally, you'd turn on your headlights, and have no interior lights on (unless you intentionally turned them on). In my case, that is no longer possible. I can only drive with the interior lights OFF (to be clear) if I slide the dimmer switch to the extreme left or if I would take out the light bulbs. In order to see my gauges lit for night driving, I would need to slide the dimmer switch to the right, but if I do that, the interior lights come on.

Is that clearer? It may not be, but it's a strange little problem. I just thought that maybe this was a common or semi-common glitch with this sort of auto.

I've checked the doors to see if the light switches are all mak> I don't mean to be a smart ass, but have you read the owner's manual? >

Reply to
Puce Blorg

If you slide your dimmer switch to the extreme right, the dome lamps WILL come on.... that is a feature of the vehicle!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

I'm not familiar with the Caravan. Do the dome lights switch off and on by pushing on the lenses?

Reply to
Nosey

Reply to
M.Balarama

Reply to
Puce Blorg

Mike, I know that. Jeez. The point being there is no way to shut them off. I was trying to show that the only way to see my gauges at night is to slide the dimmer up to the right (not even to the extreme right until it "clicks") but that then the interior lights come on. I was simply illustrating the conundrum, but only astute readers would have comprehended that.

Reply to
Puce Blorg

Yup, that's the way to encourage more help around here. I guess by telling Mike that he isn't astute you feel he will then offer more advice? How about getting a bfh and adjusting you interior lights.

Reply to
Roy

Just trying to help, no need for your sarcasm. If you don't have a manual how do you know it won't help? You originally stated that it started after your son was playing with switches. I doubt he broke anything or you would probably see it. He probably changed a switch.

Reply to
Ed H.

Ah yes, "astute reader", now I see...... sorry that I am not able to decipher your cryptic missive.. the one other thing you might check is that the dome lamp in the cargo compartment has been switched on inadvertently.

You're welcome!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Well, from a fellow warm seat I am impressed. My suggestion of a adjustment with a bfh would probably accomplish the same as your advice. Although your suggestion is not as much fun to watch as mine..

Reply to
Roy

Then maybe you should learn how to articulate your problem more clearly. Now figure out the solution to your problem on your own you pompous a$$hole.

Bob

Reply to
Bob M

Gee, I don't think I could have articulated any more clearer.

Such a sensitive lot. Yeah, I'm sure I'll be missing out on loads of other helpful information like "How to put mittens on without getting your thumbs stuck" and "Advanced topics in opening and closing Velcro straps".

Bofq's.

Reply to
Puce Blorg

I doubt this ass will every read this news group again, but, boy does he have a chip on his shoulder! I wonder if he acts this way when dealing with people in a face to face encounter or if the anonymity of the internet gives him the freedom to act like this.

Reply to
Ed H.