1997 Dakota going into semi-retirement

After 175k nearly-troublefree miles, my trusty '97 Dakota is being retired from service as a daily driver. A small, more fuel efficient car has taken over as daily driver. I have elected to keep my Dakota though, since it's paid off and I still need a truck from time to time.

This will be the first time I've ever really owned a vehicle that didn't get driven regularly, and I'm concerned about how to best approach this in terms of keeping the Dakota in operable condition. I would like to ask this group for input on this topic.

I do realize the battery will go dead in a vehicle that sits for long periods of time, that's common sense. I'm more concerned with things like this:

- Keep it outside, or keep it in the garage? I have the option to do either. My concern is, if I leave it outside, like for most of the winter, will I increase the chance of things "aging" faster, than if I kept it in the garage? I'm talking about things like gaskets, seals, rubber hoses, electrical components and connections, etc. Knock on wood, my truck doesn't have any fluid leaks (yet), the bottom of the oil pan and transmission are totally dry. Common sense tells me the best thing here is to keep it in the garage for these reasons and also to keep rodents out and prevent sun fading, but I don't know from experience just how bad it really is for a vehicle to sit outside for extended periods of time. Is it considered "ok" to leave it sit outside, or would that be a big mistake? I do check the condition of my antifreeze with a hygrometer or whatever you call it, to check the freeze/boil point.

- What about the fluids, like engine oil? I've changed the oil in the Dakota every 3000 miles religiously, but it'll probably get driven less than 3000 miles per year now. Should I still change at 3000 miles, regardless of how long it takes to rack that many miles up? What about the antifreeze and other fluids, how well do they age?

I have thought this through, and I hope these don't sound like stupid questions. I do know that I shouldn't ever just start it up, move it ten feet, and then turn it off. I plan to drive it and let it get up to temperature *every time* I start it, now more than ever. I also plan to try to drive it at least once every couple weeks, cycling the A/C, keep the tires aired up, wash the salt off if I drive it in the winter... common sense stuff like that.

So with all that in mind, I guess in a nutshell I'm asking this: What should I expect from the Dakota, and what are the best practices to ensure that it will start up next time I need it to? It's a 1997 4x2

3.9L 5-speed.

(sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance!)

Reply to
dakota2112

I would keep it indoors, change fluids once a year, try to drive it once a week but twice a month should be fine as well. I have an '01 Diesel that generally gets driven about twice a month, no problems here.

It's VERY easy for a retired daily driver (BTDT) vehicle to fall into neglect, since you have so little need for it you might want to consider selling it and relying on friends with trucks on the occasion you absolutely need one.

Reply to
BigIronRam