1999 Dodge Ram Van 1500 3.9L won't start

are ok. I have

checked the

help either. I

ideas that I might

good there too.

testing and the test

there and were ok.

of the plugs to

check the crank

off his computer

timing chain

with the ohms

at fuel rails

over 30 years.

fuel, air and

I am curious

engine cranked

light to see if

always valid for

seemingly

problem. The

still show spark

I am sorry for not getting back sooner but have not been online due to working long hours.

No , there is no anti-theft unit on this van.

Reply to
Dale

turns but nothing

have replaced

and all are

to the plugs so

morning . Thanks.

Hi, I am sorry for not getting back sooner but was not online due to working long hours.

I know there is fuel because, there is 42 pounds of pressure at the fuel rail. On my van it has a "cam sensor" and it shows to be good. Thanks for your thoughts because I am still baffled at this even though I have worked on vehicles for over 30 years.

Reply to
Dale

turns but nothing

have replaced

and all are

to the plugs so

to function is

gasoline engine...

dist cap? it

and if you

stores now days

I had just driven to the Meijers just a few blocks from home and when I went to leave is when it would not start. The van ran good until then and showed no signs of quitting. I had to have it towed home. Thanks for your thoughts. I still have not figured out what is wrong and I need it for work.

Reply to
Dale

I've actually

sprays of ether. So

horribly out of time.

a broken cam or

I had the front of the motor off and it would have showed if there was a broken gear or cam.

Reply to
Dale

with fuel, air and spark the only other reason the motor wont run is if it jumped timing. did you check the timing marks on the timing gear and crank when you had the front of the motor off? ie. check to see if it will line up for tdc. this happens when the engine diesals when it is shut off. or back fires loudly, happens when the timing chain is stretched a little.

timing control modual would be my last guess, it may have the timing advanced or retarded to much. so you can have spark, fuel and still get no bang.

lol just had one other oddball idea, the distribitor shaft is gear drive, if the timing marks on the cam and crank match up pull the distribitor shaft and take a look at the gear teeth on the end of the shaft look for any chipped teeth. if it has any then you may need a new cam shaft. and it will still have spark the whole time just not at the rigth times you need them.

wes

Reply to
crunch2

Here's something for you:

I recently worked on a 97 Ram with a 5.2 engine in it... CPS wires had been chewn by a rat, so it had no spark. Funny thing was, when I first tried to run it, the engine dieseled when i sprayed ether in it.. with no spark.

Reply to
Nza

Hi Dale, Just wondered what you figured out on this one since I'm having the same issue with the same engine...If you have the fix, please let me know thanks!

Reply to
Aaron

replying to Dale, DaddySting wrote: coil could be weak or crankshaft positioning sensor is bad

Reply to
DaddySting

Where are spraying the ether?

Reply to
bhmooers

If in the fuel ports no spark. In the air cleaner same. If you know you are fueling and you have a spark, now you have a problem. Remove a plug and ch eck the spark the old faction way. Put the ether in the cylinder put the p lug back if you have spark that should do something.

Reply to
bhmooers