1999 Durange

My 99 Durango has a very noisy lifter. Some advise to use BG oil additive and another persons suggest to use Mystery Oil next oil change. Any thoughts before going to the dealer?

Reply to
urickcw

Are you sure it is a lifter? I once bought a vehicle for very cheap because the person thought it had a noisy lifter thus would need engine work soon. After listening to the engine run, I bought it. It was a leaky exhaust and the sound of the engine was coming out of it.

Reply to
GeekBoy

Agreed, make sure of the diagnosis.

I don't think using Mystery Oil (the real stuff) will hurt it, so it may be worth a try, but OTOH, if it is really bad, it probably won't help (likely a bent pushrod).

Might be worth pulling the valve covers and doing a visual inspection if Geekboy's suggestions don't pinpoint another area. You should be able to see which valve lifter(s) are having problems that way (turn over the engine by hand and watch/feel etc.)

Also, what engine is this?

Reply to
PeterD