1999 Ram 1500 gear swap ?

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 with 3:55 rears i want to swap to 4:88s, can i run a auburn limited slip in the front dana 44 without any problems ? Thanks in advance ,Bob

Reply to
R M

Kinda depends on your definition of "problem". Any type of limited slip diff in the front will make it a challenge to turn. The truck has a tendency to keep going straight even with the wheels turned. If you really need a traction aid for the front, I'd go with an air locker that you could engage only when necessary. I read an article a while back about an electric locker also. That might be worth looking into also.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Right - in 4WD. In 2WD, there won't be any problems, because of the CAD. The driver's side tire will spin the while diff, and the front driveshaft along with it, but the passenger side wheel will be free to turn at it's own speed.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Yep, I was assuming 4wd cause you wouldn't need limited slip in the front end if'n you was using 2wd.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Thanks Tom , do yo have any knowledge of Detroit Lockers / Trutrac , from what i understand it is easier to steer when 4x4 is engaged. Thanks again , Bob

Reply to
R M

If you're looking for steering ability and running decent speeds in 4WD (ie. fire roads - not rock crawling), then Denny's right - you should look into an air or electric locker, that way you can engage it only when you need it. Anything else will cause understeer. A full locker, such as a Detroit, will cause the truck to plow moreso than an LSD.

Let's back up... why do you want a locker in the front to begin with?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Thanks for your reply again Tom. The Detroit Trutrac is a LSD supposably with a milder engagement. I figured while it was apart for the gear install instead of just changing out the cage id put in a new unit . Thanks again Bob

Reply to
R M