2000 Dakota Battery/Alternator problem?

Hi guys. I noticed a couple times that my Check Gauges light would come on,and the battery gauge needle had gone all the way up to the 18 mark. It stays like that til I turn off the engine and restart it,then it clears.

The second time it happened,while that Check Gauges light is on,the headlights,interior lights and dash lights all flicker slightly. These were all ok again once the engine had been restarted. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Someone mentioned it could be the voltage regulator,but how can it be found to be that if it is intermittant?

Thanks to anyone who can offer any advice .

Reply to
Motorman

Visit an O'Reilly's, Autozone, Advance and ask them to test....they can do it on the car and quickly tell you what's wrong with Alternator, regulator, starter or Battery.

Reply to
curmudgeon

Yeah I'll try that,thanks.

Reply to
Motorman

Your guage is already telling you that the charging system is putting out to much, and it is intermittant. If the problem lies in a bad connection, changing parts is not going to help. You need to move the wireing around, pull on connectors, things like that to see if you can recreate the problem. Then again, you could have bad solder connections in the regulator, which is usually inside of the alternator or built into the ECM. bg

Reply to
bg