?altenator problem?

my headlights and interior light sort of flicker while my 89 Probe idles. When I gas it, they just flicker faster and also get brighter, Would this be normal or could it be the altenator? Volt meter stays same at idle and when I rev the engine. thanks

Reply to
John H

What does it indicate (meter) when checking for AC voltage? If you measure some AC you might have a bad diode. It's also possible the voltage regulator is not working properly.

Reply to
I. Care

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by your first sentence... by meter you mean the guage on the console or some external volt meter. What is the diode and where is it. I think the voltage regulator is in the altenator isnt it?

Reply to
John H

Most likely a rectifier diode in the alternator. Take it to a competent mechanic and have the alternator thoroughly checked, especially for wave output.

Reply to
Sharon Cooke

Reply to
Phillip McCracken

another piece of information... when I turn on the AC, the volt meter in the dash goes down a full letter, From the "O" to "R" in the word NORM... So would that confirm the altenator? and should I take care of this soon?

Reply to
John H

Quite possibly. Turning on headlights probably does the same thing... Sounds like it's out of your scope, but if you can take the alternator out, just about any parts store will test it for you. Or simply go to your trusted mechanic. Alternator replacement is not exactly brain surgery. Is this the original alternator on this 19 year old vehicle? If so, it has already served about three times its expected life. Should you take care of this soon? Well, if you don't mind stalling in a strange neighborhood in the middle of the night and have good towing insurance, perhaps not...

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Turning the headlights on has no effect. It was supposedly changed out 2 years ago. Perhaps they put in a cheapy one?

Reply to
John H