2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Pick Up - clicking/rattleing noise

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Pick Up, 73,000 miles. It is running really fine for me, no problems whatsoever.

However, I have a clicking/rattleing noise, which is defenitely comming from the engine and noticeable under the following conditions only:

- when slightly accelerating at around 40mph / 1200 rpm or

- when strongly accelerating at around 3000 rpm..

Any idea where that might be comming from?

Any help to pin point the issue is highly appreciated. Axel

Reply to
<axelu

Detonation possibly. Next time it's empty, run a tank of premium and see if you have the same issues.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

I forgot to mention, it only occurs once the engine is warm.

Axel

Reply to
<axelu

Exhaust manifold leak? Check the bolts that hold the manifolds to the heads.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I'd still try the fuel. Kinda sounds like ball bearings in a tin can right?

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

ok lets dont forget the 318/360 engines had a tsb on intake manifold plennum pan gaskets leaking causing oil consumption and a spark knock/detonation condition. may not be it but i had to replace a lot of these gaskets with simmular complaints from my customers when i was working in the dealership.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

The 2000 Dak has a problem that might be similar to yours. One of the bonding straps from the engine to the firewall was too short such that it would telegraph lifter noise to the firewall and causes normal lifter sounds to seem much louder than they should. Could be something to look at on your

1500.

Reply to
nItpIk