04 ram foglight installation question please

Hi I recently purchased a set of Mopar foglights for my 04 ram. This came with a seperate pushbutton switch rather than the factory headlamp switch which controls the parking lamps, headlamps, and the foglights. I thought this was really cheap of Chrysler. But anyway, the directions indicate that one of the wires on the supply harness should be spliced into the left headlight lowbeam wiring. Seeing that this unit did not come with the factory switch, is it really necessary to wire it into the lowbeam lamp? I assume if its not it will just work all the time if turned on and wont be contigent upon headlight on/off status? Thanks in advance. Blair

Reply to
trout

Blair

You are correct in that you do not have to splice into the low-beam wire, you can get that signal from any 12V source you like as that is only the trigger signal for the relay. A couple of cautions though if you are considering using a different source. First, use a switched circuit so that you cannot accidentally leave your fog lights on when leaving the truck, unless you want that ability. Second, it may be illegal in your location to burn the fog lights with anything except running lights and/or low beams on, check with your local state patrol or DMV for this.

Next, you may not need to mount this switch. On most (notice I did not say ALL) Rams (mainly SLT and above I believe) Dodge pre-wired for fog lights. Look behind the front bumper on the drivers side around where the fog light mounts. If you see a harness with an open plug, you are pre-wired and your install just got a whole lot easier. You can go to

and order the headlight switch with fog light feature ($40.05) and a wiring harness ($28.16) that will allow you to do exactly what you are wanting, a factory appearing fog light install.

For more discussions on this install and a complete wiring diagram, check out

I do not know if this install will work without the pre-wiring installed. That is what I am facing on my 2004 ST model.

Good luck! Rob

Reply to
Rob