2001 Duango 4.7 running rough

OK, I inherited a 2001 Durango SLT 4x4 4.7liter. It has 201k on it. The interior and exterior are in great shape.

Two issue:

  1. Computer indicated minor emissions leak. Code P0442 I think. Looked all around and can't seem to hear a hiss or any loose tubing. Reset the computer and after a while the CE light comes back on.

  1. This one developed after #1 and may or may not be related. This is hard to explain, but when driving and just pushing the accerator slightly there is a rumble in the steering wheel. Like the tires need balanced. When I let off the gas, it stops. I am thinking spark plugs, since they are original.

Work I know has been done: Oil changes Transmission rebuilt New rotors / brakes New power window controls Air Filter Power steering fluid (has a slow leak)

Things that need to be done: Flush radiator Change front and rear differential fluid. Change Tranny fluid and gasket

I checked the PCV valve and it has back pressure and the ball is free flowing. Hard to believe since I know it's original.

Any ideas on what could be causing the problems indicated in #1 and #2?

Any other things I should do to get it in good running order?

Thanks you all rock in here! Shane

Reply to
Shane

A Duango is the same as a Durango. LOL

Reply to
Shane McBride

Suddenly, without warning, Shane exclaimed (5/24/2010 2:29 PM):

That code often just indicates a loose gas cap. If it keeps coming back, replace the gas cap. Mine kept coming back after that, if I remember they found a leaking vacuum line eventually.

I have a 2001 Dakota, which is pretty much the same truck.

Jodi

Reply to
jmc

Also, a 'small (minor) evap leak' won't be big enough to make noise. These are a bear to find (Jodi's suggestion is a good one) you just have to inspect the hoses in the evap system until you find one. Often it is one on the sensor/vacuum motor that is either mounted on the fender liner (driver's side) on most SUVs, or near the tank on larger trucks. I've found hoses on these crack too frequently. The last one I repaired it was clear the hose was simply inferior and too small causing it to split (was not reinforced).

Reply to
PeterD

Smoke Machine!!!

They work really well for leak finding but they are also not cheap.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thought about that, then said to myself: naw, he'd never have one!

Reply to
PeterD

I lucked out finding a used Snap-On machine a few years ago. Been used a LOT since then. Exhaust leaks, EVAP, vacuum, and a ton of other uses.

Reply to
Steve W.

I keep looking for a used one, but have not yet found one... Some day (it's one of the few machines that I don't have...)

Reply to
PeterD

I have replaced the gas cap. That was my first move. I am still wondering about the rough acceleration when barely applying the gas.

And no, I do not have a smoke machine. Other than the one for my band when we play live :) shane

Reply to
Shane McBride

Up until I found this one I was using a home built unit. It was built using a standard glow plug and a simple drip system to make the smoke. Used high purity mineral oil and the same dye used in A/C systems. To push the smoke around I used a fish tank air pump to generate less than 1 psi. Used an old small engine gas tank to hold the oil.

Worked OK for most stuff. Can't be used for some of the EVAP stuff but still made it easier to find lots of leaks.

The heat chamber was a chunk of 3" pipe welded up with a bung that fit the injector.

Reply to
Steve W.