2001 Ram 1500 Sport

I just (this morning) bought a 2001 Ram 1500, V8, 4WD and sport package.

Mileage was 54K. Sticker was $10K.

Minus $2000 for my "trade-in", my on-its-last-breath '97 Ford F150. I was expecting to have the F150 hauled off as it was knocking like a woodpecker.

So, it is going to cost me about $8000 - is that fair enough?

What kind of maintenance issues should I be expecting at its age and mileage?

The acceleration isn't quite what I expected - it almost feels like it is geared too low. Tires too small? Anyone know what size tires came with it new?

I haven't had time to check which V8 it came with. (Yes, it has been one of those days.) Probably the 5.9L.

-=Matt=-

Reply to
Matt Helm

Little late isn't it?

Ed

Reply to
Edward L. Dowdy

Late for what? To ask about the price? I can take it back Monday if I change my mind. Probably won't though.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Helm

Tires too small would increase your acceleration. OEM tires are

245/75-16.

Consider a tune up, including spark plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, and a fuel additive like techron. Then check out the acceleration again. Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, to clear the computer, may help too.

54K MIGHT also mean it's time to: change the transmission, differentials and transfer case oils check the brake pads before they eat the rotors for lunch, they might be original check the belt and hoses for cracks coolant flush and replacement top off the brake and power steering fluids. check the spare for air

John

Reply to
John

Go there look up your new truck. Ought to give you a pretty good idea of it's value. Seems more realistic than NADA.

Ed

Reply to
Edward L. Dowdy

John has some very good advice Matt.

Ed

Reply to
Edward L. Dowdy

KBB says $13,380 retail and $11,195 private sale. Guess I'll keep it. ;)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Helm

Let me rephrase that. Initial acceleration is peppy, but it seems like it immediately wants to shift up unless you really stay in the throttle. Almost like it shifts up too soon. I've been driving a F150 with a 4.2L V6 for the last two years, so it could be that I'm just not attuned to the shift points yet.

That is what is on it. Remington Wide Brutes.

Thanks for the rest of the advice [snipped], that is what I was looking for.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Helm

Matt.. could also be the way the last owner drove.. computer will learn your driving habits a little bit and adjust for it.. or 99 Ram has different shift points when we've been on a long trip (we tow an RV) then it does as a daily driver..

I'd also suggest the maintenance that the others have, but about 300 miles of driving can sometimes let the computer know that you want to accelerate.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Matt I noticed the same thing when I bought my 01 Ram 1500 with 5.2l V8 and auto. I traded in a 2000 Chevrolet Shakerado that I hated. It took me awhile to get used to the way the Dodge shifted but I got used to it. Congrats on the truck. You'll love it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob M

I am loving it. The shifting is smoothing out. I replaced the the two little wimpy horns with a set of Fiamm Big Boss air horns today.

My BIL is a die hard Ford owner. I drove my Ram into his back yard with the headlights shining through his dining room window and laid on the air horn. My SIL about wet her pants.

Tomorrow I'm installing the XM radio.

Matt

Reply to
photondave

Sounds like a plan!

Ed :)

Reply to
Edward L. Dowdy

That's hilarious! My brother is a die hard Ford guy too. I'm always teasing him telling him his truck will burst into flames any day now.

Bob

Reply to
Bob M