2004 Dakota RT wheels

Acquired a 2004 RT dakota few months back. My Son-in-law has a nice 2004 Dakota 4-door.

The RT has wider'n hell 17inch wheels. Tires are gonna cost me $250 each and they seem to wear really fast.

The two trucks were sitting side-by-side other day and I noticed that the RT wheels with the bigassed tires added very little to the appearance of the vehice, compared to the other Dakota.

I'm an old fart and I don't really need the extra traction of the wide tires. Would rather be able to "smoke the tires", anyway :)

Can I put 15" wheels on the RT or am I going to get into trouble with brake clearance, drivability (caster, camber etc)?

Anybody on here done this, already.

Thanks in advance.

"Leroy"

Reply to
Leroy

I think 2004 Dakotas had 16" wheels from the factory. Look for the safety certification sticker (probably on the driver's door jamb). It will show the stock wheel and tire size.

Reply to
Nosey

"Nosey" wrote in news:fmgrhc$ts2$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

There's no such thing as a factory '04 Dakota R/T. '03 was the last year.

Reply to
Joe

You are so right. Man .. I MUST BE getting old. Substitute 2002 for 2004 in all instances.

Sorry bout that.

"Leroy"

Reply to
Leroy

No biggie - just wondering if someone slapped some R/T decals on a 4.7 or something..

At any rate, all R/Ts came with 17" rims, fender flares, and they're lowered by about 1" or so. You might try "borrowing" your son's tires for a bit just to see if they'll fit ok and to see how you like them. Personally, I'd keep the 17s, as they're perfect for that truck.

I replaced the baloney skin OEMs on my '03 R/T at around 35k miles with Kumhos, and they're wearing pretty well so far. I expect (hope) to get at least 40k from them. Got the Kumhos at Sears for around $100/tire including mounting and balancing, but that was a couple years ago.

Leroy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
Joe