3500 Clutch problem

I have a 2007 Dodge Ram with a standard shift and haul a 16000 pound

5th wheel. The problem is backing up with the rig. In order to inch slowly backwards when getting into a tight spot (specially if there's any uphill involved) it's necessary to ride the clutch in order to control the speed. A few times there has been the odor of a burning clutch, an oder I well remember when I had to stop in a steep hill in San Francisco a few years ago with a stick shift Toyota pickup. A few weeks later, in that case, I needed a new clutch.

Is it likely that I will have premature clutch problems with this truck? Any chance this would be covered by warrantee? Any suggestions on how to back up with a load and control a very low speed without damaging the clutch? Please don't reply if your only solution is to "trade for a truck with an automatic transmission" as I've already heard this one before :0( There are LOTS of good deals out there, but then, try SELLING a manual transmission truck today. Anyone want to trade even?

It seems to me that Dodge should have a very low gear for it's reverse gear in order to elimate this problem.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
Tom

Two ideas jump right out . . . 1. Do you have 4WD? Try 4lo 2. Practice, practice, practice. My 5th isn't that heavy, but with practice, you should quit burning miles off your clutch plate. I just turned 149k miles on my '03 original clutch.

FMB (North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB