95 Dakota - engine cranks over but won't start

I have a 1995 Dodge Dakota, V8, 5spd, 220k miles. I was replacing the radiator the other day when I had the truck running to check for leaks and it just stalled. After that, it would turn over but won't start. Not even a pop of combustion. After checking for various fuel and spark problems, the only thing I found that seems off is the spark is a weak orange color. I checked the ignition coil primary and secondary resistance, and it's within spec (1.2 and about 12.7k). Can a coil still be bad even though resistance is right, and be causing the weak spark? I can't believe the engine won't even sputter. I would think that would be more a condition of no spark at all.

Anything else I can check? I looked at the cap and rotor, there was some white buildup which I cleaned off and still no change.

Thanks for any help!

Reply to
tml1138

Yes, the coil could have insulation breakdown in operation (high-voltage) but not when you are testing. You should have a 'healthy blue/white' spark, not orange. However, did you try a quick shot of starting fluid to eliminate the fuel injection components?

Check the rotor for shorts too. (I'm guessing you checked spark at the coil, not the plugs.) Check for proper spark at plugs to eliminate the rotor and cap.

Reply to
PeterD

Does the motor have a good ground?

Reply to
bilb2765

If you have gas and have spark, a good place to look is the crankshaft position sensor. If this goes out, your spark does not arrive at the correct time.

Reply to
bg

Have you checked for trouble codes?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Been busy and this isn't my primary vehicle anymore so it's been sitting. But, winter is soon coming and I'd like to get it going asap.

I checked sparked at the spark plug only, not the coil. Figured if there is spark at the plug, it's getting through from the whole way. No error codes showing up. Tried starting fluid and made no difference.

I think I will try checking timing and look at grounds. Don't know much about crank/cam position sensors, so I hope that's not it.

Thanks!

Reply to
tml1138

It ended up being the ignition coil. Even though the resitance of the windings checked out, the spark was weak and the coil was the culprit. The cap and rotor got replaced too, for good measure. Running great again...

Reply to
tml1138