95 Dakota rear wheel lockup - ABS?

I have a 95 Dakota (5.2 V8, 5 spd manual) with many, many miles on it. Recently one of the brake lines broke, it was the one that goes from the front at the MC to the back axle where it tees off to the drums. So I lost my back brakes and wow I was surprised at how much stopping power I'd lost, even with the front discs still working.

I was on my way to work, which is about 45 min drive away from home and I was almost there. To get myself back on the road asap, I eased it over to the nearest Monroe shop and had them replace the line (from the MC to the rear axle tee), refill the brake fluid, bleed the system, etc....

I had the stopping power back, however it wasn't until several days later that I noticed the rear wheels would lock up, and sometimes it doesn't take much to make them lock. Just a quick, somewhat firm press of the pedal will make them chirp as they lock up. I have rear ABS only, and the ABS light is not on or anything like that. It seems the ABS is still functioning as I still hear a clicking sound when I use the brakes hard as it's always done. Is it possible something happened to the proportioning valve? Maybe it got stuck in position to one side when the line broke and lost fluid? I haven't checked for any computer error codes (no lights so it would seem okay to me) and I'm assuming the prop valve is right there mounted next to the MC. Looks like it anyway. Is there an easy way to check to see if the prop valve is functioning properly?

Any help is most appreciated!

-Troy

Reply to
tml1138

"tml1138" wrote in news:1152196984.080944.275760 @j8g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I had a very similar issue that I dealt with. It was easily fixed and the cost is minimal. I remember having three other people look at it until the solution just popped in my head. Once I knew what I was dealing with, we had all running just fine in less than hour. If you require any further help, please let me know.

SnoMan snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
SnoMan

My answer is not as vague as some but it might help.

I helped a friend set up a break system on his 62 ford unibody. I remember there was a pressure in line going to rear breaks. check to see that it wasn't bypassed when the line was replaced.

Reply to
krenelka

So what did you do? :-)

Reply to
tml1138

Alright now it's behaving slightly different than I had thought. Just ONE wheel is locking up during light braking (the driver's side rear). Both rear wheels will lock up when I do a really hard stop/brake. Most of the time it's just the one driver's side rear wheel though, and the truck will want to steer to the left as a result of it.

Can improperly bled brakes cause this? Anything else?

-Troy

Reply to
tml1138

Figured it out. The wheel cylinder was leaking and I was told brake fluid actually makes the shoes grab. You'd think it would make it slip, but such is not the case. After replacing the wheel cylinder, and putting a pair of new shoes on, the problem went away.

-Troy

Reply to
tml1138