96 Ram, little or no heat

I have a 96 Ram 1500 with AC, and have little or no heat. I replaced the thermostat and flushed the system and get very little if any heat. Odd thing is when I turn the defrost on, it will blow cold air. Any ideas as to what the problem or problems could be?

MrBlues

Reply to
MrBlues

Your heater core may be plugged...do you ever get steam on the inside of your windshield? If you do, the heater core has a leak.

Reply to
Advocate

With the engine well warmed up, grasp both heater hoses and feel if they are both hot; if they're not, water isn't circulating through the heater core. If the hoses are both hot, the blend door in the heater box is probably not working correctly; check the cable adjustment.

In the absence of heat it's normal for the defrost to blow cold air since the A/C compressor is energized in the Defrost mode.

Reply to
John Kunkel

Did you have heat before you flushed it? And now you don't? If that's the case, it's probably just air in the system. You'll need to purge it a little better. Did you drill a hole in the thermostat?

Reply to
.boB

I am thinking it is the heater core, as I do get steam on the inside windows. I looked at the placement of the heater core and it looks like a pain to do myself or is it easier than it looks?

MrBlues

Reply to
MrBlues

No - harder.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

It's a major job, requires removal of the dash.

Reply to
John Kunkel