No heat when engine warm

I just changed the thermostat in my wifes Windstar (guage wouldn't go into the operating range) and now when the engine is warn I can't get any heat out of the vents (when the switch is in the heat/defrost side). The air coming from the vents feels cold, as if the AC was running. I opened the hood and the AC hoses had condensation like the the AC was had been running. I know I put the thermostat in correctly, but how/why is the AC on? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Mac

Reply to
Blmack

Sherrill D. Colfrod Jr

I'd check to see if the AC clutch on the compressor is stuck on. 2 years ago this happened to an Aerostar I had. The clutch wasn't disengaging and as a result the AC was constantly on. Check the clutch.

Cameron

Reply to
Cameron

I'd be more suspicious of an air lock in the system. I always keep the radiator cap off until the thermostat opens because there is inevitably an air bubble that comes through. I found this on all my Fords since 1980!

Reply to
ROBBCWZ

Reply to
Knight

Did you test the thermostat before putting it in? Usually I put 'em in a pot of water on the stove and boil it to see if it opens up at the right temp. (also I put thermometer in the water).

Reply to
Robotnik

I suspect that it is the thermostat.

In my car and many others, when the defroster is on, the air conditioning comes on above 50 F, so that it dries the air, so that you can dry the windshield. However, this does not mean that the compressor clutch is not stuck on.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think it may have been a air bubble stuck somewhere in the system. After filling the radiator I ran it withe the cap off..but the fluid started or poor out of the neck, so I put the cap on. A few hours later I found the overflow tank was completely empty and the radiator needed more fluid. Again, Thanks for all the help. Mac

Reply to
Blmack