98 Dodge Ram 1500; Battery dies; hellp

Hello,

I bought the wife a 98 Dodge Ram 1500 a couple of weeks ago. In that time, she has drained the battery twice. Basically twice in 2 weeks.

Here is how she explains it to me.

When you turn off the truck, if you turn it back to far, you can still take the key out, but somehow the power to 'something' is still on and drains the battery.

First time she did it; ok, her Dad was there while she was visiting and they jumped it with one of his V-8 rigs.

Second time, it was 04:00 AM in the morning and I had to go outside in the rain and jump her with our little 4 cylinder Toyota. At first it didn't want to jump the big Dodge.

I don't want up again at 04:00 in the morning because she does this again. Is there a way to prevent this or is she doing something wrong?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Fierro

Sounds to me like there is a problem with the ignition switch and some one is turning it to accessory vice off then taking the key out. This would leave things on, like the stereo, etc... and would kill the battery.

I would find out if the switch is bad, replace it if it is and see if the problem still exists.

Reply to
azwiley1

You could trade it in for a BA CTD which has twin batteries. If you don't want to go that far, do you know how old the current batteries are? Maybe take it down and get it load tested when you have time.

FMB

Reply to
FMB

One of the hardest to trouble shoot, check and make sure all your accessories are off. If you have lamp under the hood that comes on when you open it check and make sure it is off when closed. Check all your battery connections and make sure the terminals and posts are clean including the starter terminals.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

I guess this is the biggest thing then. What is still on when she accidentally takes the key out while it is in Accessory mode and not really in the off position.

The radio is stock. I will have her leave the volume on a bit when she turns the truck off so she can hear it still play if she goes into accessory again. Check for fan noise maybe in the defroster/heater. The lights are all out I would think as this would be spotted at night when you turn the truck off. Anyone know if there is some other device that could be running continuously in accessory mode?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Fierro

Put an amp meter in series with the battery while the vehicle is not running. If it shows current draw then the battery is being discharged. Unplug fuses, flip switches, try disconnecting wire harnesses, etc, to see where the current is going.

Reply to
bg

I fought a problem for weeks like this on a 75 Dodge mini motorhome. I used this technique and found a relay shorted for the courtesy light on the ignition key. Nick

Reply to
Nick C Topolos