99 durango stalling

I have good news, haven't stalled in about 2 weeks. I've been chasing low voltage and dead batteries for several years. Wouldn't idle on random days and by the time I would get to the hood latch and put a meter on it, the problem usually went away. I've stalled at 25mph & 45mph. Seemed like an alternator issue but the voltage regulator is in the computer/pcm. Initially replaced the battery but kept it for the boat and here is a list of things replaced: (that didn't help) Alternator - twice (if the pcm is bad it won't demand any output, tests as bad alternator) computer - twice (if alt is good, but no output, seems reasonable- too bad the dealer cant test them) Idle Air Controller- better to remove it and clean it--choke cleaner just doesnt do it while attached TPS - now i have a spare plugs & wires - of course Speed Sensor - fixed the speedometer floating or chasing, but I should have just wiped it off. Over the 3years since I've had these issues, the 4 shops were little help. I've read most of the posts on the subject and I finally replaced the coil. I no longer have a problem. Now at the same time I replaced the coil I also inspected the 6mos old wires and one was pretty brittle that moved close to the headers. I replaced that even tho I couldn't see any arcing but I was concerned about some grounding or main power connections. I reconnected the alternator after cleaning the connection on the positive side and the other connection that seemed to be in harms way is the ground cable. It's right behind the AC pump, and the copper connection had the opening facing up. I took that apart and hammered the crimp connector back on. So my problems may have been a combination of any of those things. Thanks for all your help. Throughout all my voltage issues the gauge still reads just above 14, even if the voltage is 10. I swear by the digital cigarette voltmeter plugs from Walmart and Auto-zone, they're about $15

Reply to
99scanner

99scanner