bed tie-down

I've dumped my old plastic bedliner and was thinking about getting a Line-X sprayed in a '97 2500. The front tie down points in the bed used to be covered by a rubber plug -- but this looks somewhat tacky. Also, I can't imagine how these plugs would remain functional after a spray-in was installed.

Do these front tie-downs have a water drain hole or should I drill some half inch holes in the tie down cavity?

Reply to
Ben Turner

They do have holes in them. After the liner is applied, the tie-down hole will be less funtional

Reply to
GeekBoy

i have a line-x in my 05 and love it. i ditched the plastic liner the first night. got it home from the dealership and out came the plastic liner, even before the insurance cards went into the truck. my trucks drain holes don't drain as fast as they used to but they do drain (when crap isn't covering them) you probably could enlarge the holes with a drill bit to increase the functionality of the holes after its sprayed with the liner. not sure i would worry about it, but the option is there if your really concerned. usually if my truck fills with water during a overnight rain storm (remember the crap over the holes?) the first time i back out of the driveway it all gone, runs right out from under the tailgate.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Would think it would make sense to enlarge the holes before the spraying. Or would the spray plug them anyway?

Roy

Reply to
Roy

It does. The factory tie-down holes are reduced in size to the point where you cannot use the rubber plugs anymore.

Reply to
GeekBoy

This is true. Mine still drains fine though. I've had my Line-X in since shortly after I bought the truck (2001), and I love it! It hasn't faded as much as I thought (it's very dark grey now, instead of jet black), even after a year in the hot, sunny desert climate. Considering what I've put in it over the years, the bed itself, or any plastic liner, would have been totally trashed, but the line-x looks practically new. Great investment!

jmc

Reply to
jmc

When I had the Rhinoliner sprayed in my '99 the installer removed the plugs and taped off the inside perimeter of the holes. The plugs fit back in nicely and the hole size wasn't reduced.

Pics:

Nosey

So if you open the holes up prior to the spray so that they will drain, won't the spray prevent the rusting of the drilled holes? Maybe I'm missing something here?

Reply to
Roy

No telling. Depends on how they spray the area and how much.

Reply to
GeekBoy

Yeah and I am sure better than pathetic Rhino. I will never have them. My truck was sprayed with a matching color. It reacted to UV rays and turned green. Rhino said I should have it sprayed with a gloss coating. My response was "why would I want to make something that has turned green, an even brighter green?"

No reponse from the jerk offs.

Reply to
GeekBoy

I'm missing something. But no matter

Reply to
Roy

That unfortunately requires an installer that actually knows what they are doing.

Reply to
TBone

no your not, i follow in what your saying Roy. if you enlarge them large enough the coating will coat the edges of the holes to keep them from rusting, without blocking the holes. how large of a hole that has to be? well that part i cant answer for you. i can tell you the factory drain holes in my 05 still function somewhat, but are obviously diminished by the the line-x install. my neighbor had the rubbery looking rino liner installed in his truck and it totally blocked all of his factory drain holes. the rino liner is also much harder to slide a load out of (when you want to) while you can slide a load out of mine with the harder line-x (when you want to) while still retaining the limited load shift you would expect out of a sprayed in liner.

i hope that sufficiently answered your question.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Thank you!

That's good to know. Others can plan accordingly.

Good info. thanks.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

whew! i thought this was a thread about barrell and snotroll and their bedroom secrets when i read the title.

Reply to
theguy

05 CTD 06 Liberty CRD
Reply to
Chris Thompson

I just bought some stainless steel pop-up anchor tie-downs at AutoZone.

2 pack for $2.50 on clearance. You put them in the stake holes.
Reply to
GeekBoy