BEST WAY TO TIE DOWN TJ ON TRAILER

I've decided to stop flat towing my TJ behind my motor home and get a trailer to take it along. I've seen so many ways of doing this I'm asking the group the best way. From previous posts I understand that strapping down the frame is desired. I'd like to use ratchet tie downs, yellow straps. I also could use T Hooks in the rear frame holes but I can't in the front frame holes because they are covered with my Currie Anti-Rock sway bar. Thanks a problem. What is used from the T Hook to the strap?

Anybody have web sites I can go to in order to purchase all I need? I did find

for the T Hooks. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks,

Andy

2001 TJ Modified
Reply to
Andy

This is what I am doing

2 straps on each axle and one strap on the front and back to load the springs.

Flame away, but it seems to work fine.

--James

Reply to
RocknTJ

For short tows wheel straps are fine but for a long haul I'd cinch it down from the frame. This PDF file will show many different accessories you can choose from or adapt to fit your application.

frames have many anchor points to allow for loading flexibility on carhaulers, they however use chains and a winch assembly for tightening them.You need a lot of clearance for straps or you can forget a near vertical tiedown. You may want to consider chain vs. straps.-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Matt Macchiarolo

Exactly what I needed Brain. Thanks to all that helped. I will go with chain as that is the best for the application.

What a group!

Andy

2001 TJ Re 4.5 Super Flex Lift Tom Woods SYE Kit 4:1 2-Low T-Case Shifter Currie sway bar ARB F&R 35" Tires - 488 Gears Warn 9500i Kilby Gas Skidplate Warn Skid plates

Reply to
Andy

This one is good for purchasing

RocknTJ

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I think tying to the frame or bumpers is best. If you only tie to the axles or wheels, you get body roll which can pitch the trailer. I recommend two tie downs per end (front and rear)... if one fails (or gets loose) the other is there for safety.

Reply to
JimG

Why even strap that thing down. I would be hoping it would fall off the trailer and save me a trip to the junk yard:) James that is pretty much what I did but I bought two axle straps, one for the front and one for the rear. Hope to see you on the trail soon. Jim F.

Reply to
hackle

I agree with the safety of two different straps. I use an axle strap front and rear and then also hit the frame to cinch it down. If one comes loose the other will help hold it. Jim F.

Reply to
hackle

Andy,

I tried tying down my YJ using 3" yellow ratchet straps with chain & hooks through the frame and to the trailer. It was ok, but the hooks began to "egg-out" the rear holes. I've since switched to using four 3" ratchet straps ties to special axle straps (short, reinforced adapters). I run then ouer and behind the axle u-bolts & springs, pulling forward in an "X" pattern. The suspension will flex a bit, but it's much easier to attach.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Just make sure the TJ is positioned properly on the trailer so most of its weight is forward of the axle(s). If you don't, insufficient tongue weight will cause vicious trailer sway as you try to get up to speed. Whatever that trailer's total weight is with the Jeep and everything else, make sure you have at least 10% of that weight sitting on the hitch ball as tongue weight. :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to