Belt Tensioner Squeel

Hi,

I've got a '97 Dakota w/3.9l. The tensioner sometimes makes a lot of noise. I've replaced it and the new one squealed just the same. Any ideas on how to get rid of the noise?

Thanks,

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Are you sure it's the tensioner that's squealing, and not the idler pulley?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

It's the pulley that is on the tensioner that's squealing. When I sprayed some lube at the pulley mounting bolt the noise abated for a short time.

Reply to
NapalmHeart

If that is the case then I would return the tensioner and claim it to be defective or better yet, bring the vehicle to the dealer where you bought the tensioner and show them. Most dealers that I have dealt with are pretty good about that and will get you another one because that squeal is not normal. BTW, how old is that belt?

Reply to
TBone

I went 'round and 'round with this problem once. Returned the tensioner only to find the problem persisted... returned the new belt too; problem persisted.

I bought a gatorback belt and I've never had a noise out of it sense. Try another brand of belt if the tensioner swap doesn't fix your problem. The goodyear gatorback works well for me; it's what I get when I replace the belts on my vehicles now.

Reply to
Olaf

I bought the replacement parts at a local parts store. The replacement of the belt wasn't recorded in the repair log that I keep (oops!). By visual inspection it shows no real wear. I'll see about switching to a Gatorback soon.

I do have to go back to the following that I posted before. The noise isn't consistent, as it comes and goes.

"It's the pulley that is on the tensioner that's squealing. When I sprayed some lube at the pulley mounting bolt the noise abated for a short time."

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

First, thanks to all of those who replied.

There's a special washer that goes between the bolt and the pulley. This washer was bent in so that it was touching on the outer race of the bearing, causing a squealling noise. I could tell it was touching by the witness marks left on the back of the washer. I put the bolt through the washer and positioned it on a vise so that it would bend the washer where the witness marks were when I hit the bolt head with a hammer.

There was still a small squeal that went away when I sprayed silicone spray on the back of the belt and I saw the surfaces on the idler and water pump pulleys clean up to bright and shiney (both driven by the back of the belt). I then sprayed chlorinated brake cleaner on the belt and pulleys to clean the silicone off. After letting it set so the brake cleaner could evaporate I replaced the belt with a new Gatorback.

Best Wishes to all,

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

"Witness marks" - That's engineer talk. "Hit the bolt head with a hammer" - That's mechanic talk. Which one are you?

Reply to
Nosey

Actually, I'm nothing but a good old country boy. I worked in some production machining factories and picked up a bit of terminology. I do what it takes to do what I have to do.

My friends and I were doing some pretty crazy stuff with vehicles when we were a lot younger than we are now. I learned how to see the possibilities of what might or might not get you back home if things weren't going so well. I don't take being stranded very well, either. Perseverance or maybe sheer force of will can get you through a lot.

Nowadays, I baby-sit adults in a prison.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart