406 Drive Belt Tensioner

Hi

I have recently noticed my 406 (2.0 HDi, yr 2002, 90bhp) making a deep "moaning" sound.

My first suspicions was a warn drivebelt and so I replaced this. The problem was not solved.

Upon taking the car to the garage they have investigated and told me that the bearings have warn in the belt tensioner thus causing the belt to vibrate which is the noise I hear. Quote is 5 hours labour and £35 + VAT for a new tensioner.

Has anyone ever replaced the tensioner themselves? Haynes does not seem to give any instructions on how to do this.

TIA Ol

Reply to
Oli

was this a peugeot independant the time sounds a bit excessive would have expected that time for a timing belt as well as the tensioner and acc belt seem to remember getting about an hour for a tensioner when last i did one

Reply to
Mindwipe

Thanks for the response. Im trying to find out how difficult this part would be for me to replace myself?

Thanks Oli

Reply to
Oli

Hi Jeff,

Coming late, don't you have to replace the cambelt when replacing a tensionner ?

Regards, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

believe we are on the aux belt at this point GT common fault yes its easy enuf to replace providing you lock it b4 removal

Reply to
Mindwipe

Hi,

Right, I guess I was took on the wrong way because of the 5hrs labour.

Regards, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T