Blinkers

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram P/U with 90k miles on it. About 3 months ago I noticed "At times," when I used the dimmer for the head lights, sometimes I would hit the head light for high beam and the lights would switch off. I could switch back to low beams and all was OK. If I went back to the high beams the headlights would go to high beams. This happens once out over about ten times. Now the blinkers may blink 4 or 5 times and just quit. Turn them off and go back on and they may work 1 - 7 or 8 times and quit. Is the blinkers switch in the column going bad? If so, how hard is it to replace?

Reply to
Ronnie

Yes, it's the multi-function switch that's shot. Replacement is pretty simple. Essentially, you remove the trim pieces from the steering column (Torx screwdrivers needed), then remove the multi-function switch with a security or tamper-proof Torx screwdriver (same as a regular Torx, only with a hole in the middle, because the screw head has a pin in the middle). The wiring harness is screwed to the switch, so you'll remove that screw, as well.

Getting the steering column trim pieces to all line up upon re-assembly will probably be the trickiest part of the job. Just don't tighten any screws until the pieces all fit together.

Before doing this, disconnect the battery and wait several minutes for the capacitors in the airbag system to discharge. Accidentally setting off an airbag in your face could ruin your whole day.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I'll be putting the Dodge in the shop today for a radiator leak.

Reply to
Ronnie

I have a 92 dakota 4x4 auto with a 360.

Has the stock tape player radio. Has 4 speakers, I think... THe stock radio is Intermittent.. Some times I have to turn it off and on 15 -

20 times to get it to come on.

Is there a radio upgrade from a later model dakota that will swap in (and look right) to get me a CD player.. And will it work with the 4 speaker system?????

I dont want a FancySmancy sound system.. Just a Good 4 speaker radio with a CD that Looks right in my truck.

THANKS IN ADVANCE, Advance NC.

Earl

Reply to
Earl Groce

I would go to

and see what they have. Order their catalog and it'll be even easier. The catalog will tell you what will and will not fit your truck. I've ordered a lot of car stereo's and speakers from them. They will send you all the stuff you need (for free) to install the radio, including all instructions. You'll have to be able to be able to follow a wiring diagram to adapt the stock wiring harness to the new radio wiring harnesses (the wiring diagram and connectors are included, again for free). If this is over your head, you'll probably need to buy a radio from Dodge, at a much higher cost.

I've no connection with Crutchfield. Just a very satisfied customer. At one time (after buying two car stereo's and two sets of speakers), they gave me a year's subscription to Road and Track. It wasn't advertised, I just started receiving the magazine with a letter stating it was a gift subscription from them.

Dave Young

Earl Groce wrote:

Reply to
Dave Young

Earl,

I don't know if you might have better luck than I, but when I've searched for factory CD players -- either locally or on Ebay -- the prices are sky-high, and people pay good money to get something that looks like it belongs there and installs with no hassle. The ante was $200 last time I stuck my nose into it......and you can get a great brand new unit for a little over half that if you go for the mid-level.

Frankly, the better reception I've seen with aftermarket radios puts the last nail in that coffin for me.

Jon

Reply to
Jon

1984 to 2001 ~ 2002 are pretty much plug and play. The wiring hooks up and works fine. There are some different part numbers for "infiniti" radios, it doesn't seem to matter when it's retro-fitted to something else. The very basic AM/FM/cassette players show up on eBay pretty regular, and cheap. The upscale sales code RBN (with changer controls and cassette but no player) and RAZ (with player and cassette but no changer controls) command pretty good money, $100 ~$200 ish on eBay. There is another AM/FM Cd player w/o cassette I can't recall the sales code for. I have one of them, works fine except the display is dark 99% of the time...

I've resisted aftermarket radios because of the dearth of selection in the factory 1.5 din size. I now have a single din Alpine because of the new functions not available in the factory radios. I still don't like the look but satellite radio is pretty nice.

Reply to
BigIronRam

Ive been told that even grand cherokee and Mini Van radios will work....

are the DELUX sound system radios Plug and Play in a dakota with only

4 speakers??

cobraearl

Reply to
Earl Groce

I can't say for certain on your Dakota, but on my '82 Ramcharger which did NOT have a four speaker option, the wiring took care of the two or four speaker problem. I could have opted for four speakers by cutting the factory loop in the speaker wiring. On the other hand, the '82 has a completely different wiring arrangement, so I'm not sure in your situation.

You are correct, you're not absolutely stuck with Dodge truck radios, most Chrysler product radios will interchange. Imported Chrysler products in particular do not interchange.

Reply to
BigIronRam

Suddenly, without warning, Tom Lawrence exclaimed (14-Nov-06 11:36 AM):

If this is the same unit as the ignition switch I recently replaced, it wasn't hard at all, even for a layperson. I had a Haynes manual to work from, but it didn't mention my truck's cruise control, part of which had to be removed to gain access to one of the ignition switch's screws.

The hardest part was indeed getting the steering wheel covers screwed in right. When you remove the screws initially, remember to note which screw goes in which hole.

Also, the Torx screw size for the covers is different than the screw size for the equipment underneath. Can't tell you the sizes though as mine don't say.

jmc

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Same excavation procedure, but the MFS is on the opposite side of the column as the ignition switch.

When I take things like that apart for the first time, and there's lots of different-sized fasteners, I take little pieces of duct tape, and tape the screw over, or next to, the hole it came out of. This makes a world of difference re-assembling, especially if you take a few days before putting it back together.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Hey, I like the "tape" procedure. I'll try that. The shop just called and I need a new radiator. He said sometimes they only last 100k miles. I have 95k. I had the system flushed last year. Oh well.

Reply to
Ronnie

Earl Groce wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've got a RAZ unit from my '03 Dak (identical to the '02) that's sitting around collecting dust. Worked perfectly last time I used it (about 2 months ago); I replaced it with a new JVC HD radio.

The RAZ has RDS, cassette/CD, CD changer controls, and of course 4 speaker outputs. If you already have steering wheel controls they should work on this unit, as my Dak had them. E-mail to 97strat-at- gmail-dot-com if you're interested.

Reply to
Joe

Ronnie's problem may be as simple as needing new blinker fluid, made by Kale Automotive:

You can thank me later! ;^)Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

Reply to
Ronnie

Reply to
Ed H.

Any chance of the RAZ unit working without steering wheel controls???????

earl

Reply to
Earl Groce

Sure, the RAZ should work fine w/o the steering wheel controls. You'll just have to reach over to the dash and turn the knob/press the buttons... ;)

Earl Groce wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
Joe

Ok, so the RAZ works without the steering controls.. Does it require a separate amplifier, or is it just a PLUG AND PLAY.. no pun intended... :) :) :)

earl

Reply to
Earl Groce

Wish I'd known I could get blinker fluid on line. Just had mine done, and it was awful expensive. Like $350 before it was all done. They had to blow all the old electrons out of the lines, and top off the electron level. The way they describe, it took em pretty much all day to do.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon