Brakes pull to right 98 4 X 4

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4 X4 extended cab pickup, with a brake problem. The right front brake applies first causing a pull to the right. Every thing has been changed. rotors,pads, calipers. brake lines, proporitinn valve. even tires & wheels. this has been done on the rear also. In fact this has been done 2 times , nothing changed. The right front brake feels free to turn when the wheel is jacked up off the ground. However black dust gets on the right front and not the left [From wear]. Even the metal brake lines have been changed. Something strange is going on here.

I am posting this for Don Reed, his computer is out of service. Boris Belchoff

Any Help will be greatly appreciated.

Don Reed

donreed at ij.net Or reply to this message Thank you

813- 754-2322
Reply to
qball1936

Okay - if you've gone after all the 'typical' stuff, it's time to get a little creative. First, I'd see about getting a couple of pressure gauges , and hook them up. You can either get a gauge and adapter that will replace the bleeder screw, or a set of pads that replace the brake pads and get squeezed by the caliper. The ones that screw into the bleeder are better, IMO. Check for equal brake pressure when the brakes are applied - both with the engine off and with the engine running. Also check to make sure both gauges drop back to zero when the brakes are released. If they don't check out, you've obviously got problems upstream - possibly the master cylinder.

If the pressures are equal, then you've got some kind of mechanical binding happening, either on the left side during apply, or on the right side during the return. I'm assuming you've already checked/greased the caliper slide bolts, but I'd check again. Maybe remove the brake pads, re-install the caliper, and make sure you can manually slide it back and forth without anything hanging up. Again, check both sides.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I had a 98 2500HD 4X4 Xcab that pulled to the left. Shims were added to the right side to balance the pull. Or it was vice versa. The truck was several weeks if that old. The dealer performed this under warranty.

Reply to
KG

Yeah, but that's a very slight pull that's more steering/suspension related. The fact that he sees a big discrepency in the amount of brake dust left vs. right indicates a more serious problem.

And yes - my '99 2500 also had the 1/8" spacer ring on the right side. I don't believe this applied to the 1/2-ton trucks.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

My '99 2500 has that spacer ring on the right side too. What's the purpose of that?

Reply to
Nosey

To move the wheel out a bit, and to counteract a tendency to pull while braking. I ran my 2500 both with and without that spacer, and I wasn't able to feel any significant difference either way.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Thanks. I always wondered what it was there for.

Reply to
Nosey