Built like a Mercedes (?)

I've heard it suggested that the popular 10-30 and 10-40 multigrades sold in Europe are refined to a higher degree than in the US. Nevertheless I prefer to use synthetics for oil change intervals of ~ 10,000 mi.

Also, there seems to be more short journeys in the US which probably hammers the oil worse.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

No dip shit, it show's he knows how to use a weapon.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I misunderstood Huw. I thought the point you were making was that little trucks are not common in europe, but in north america 1/2 tons are very common but typically only carry fishing tackle.

I was explaining that 1/2 ton truck owners here USE their trucks to WORK. (and most of us need an 8' box)

rach

Reply to
Rachel Easson

yes good point -- probably another reason why the cheapest oil will do in an old block (80's), as long as you change it every 3-5000 mi when you are travelling dirt roads or breathing in construction dirt -- i think i have an extra 6 gallons of oil and oil fiters

rach

Reply to
Rachel Easson

really graham, or i man pooh. it was your idea not mine. hmmm.

Reply to
theguy

I've got 4 over 200k, and one over 400k. American cars (Chrysler products). The one with over 400k did a big chunk of that with plain old dinosaur oil, and it sure wasn't changed every 3k. I didn't run them to

9k and up until after converting them to synthetic, more like 5k-6k on dino oil. Back when I logged a minimum of 25k miles/year, it just wasn't practical to change oil every 3k. That would have meant changing oil every 6 weeks!
Reply to
Steve

Boy - someone needs to go to Haiti or Burkina Faso. Quite densely populated compared to the USA, Canada, Europe, or even South Africa, and 2 of the 5 poorest countries in the world.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Really, you do seem easily fooled.

Reply to
TBone

Most of the fleet, LOL. While the damage was greater than we expected, it was hardly most of anything and prior to that, we were shipping tons of military supplies to GB prior to Pearl. Why do you think that was?

Reply to
TBone

LOL, Churchill knew about the "surprise" attack on Perl before it happened and so did Roosevelt. Roosevelt knew that this country needed a punch in the face to motivate the people for what would come. Kind of lucky for us that the most important ships in the Pacific were nowhere to be found during this attack, huh, LOL! And of course, we were gearing up military production prior to the war only to help our allies the British, right?!?!

Reply to
TBone

Not at all. I was referring to the collective ass of the managers running each company. Two companies, two collective asses but thanks for caring.

Reply to
TBone

Nor were English ideas on radar practical until the U.S. put their scientists in the same location as the English scientists.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Funy, I thought it showed he had good aim.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Wrong!! How do you think you got the supplies from us that kept your country alive until we entered the war. Entering a theatre does not mean declaring war.

LOL, you are kidding right. Without our help you would not have survived.

Who said that it was just the US? The point is that if we didn't get involved (by provoking the Japanese to attack) and our help and industrial might helped to turn the war around.

I find it funny that you would call anyone a lying sack of SHIT there, POO bear.

Reply to
TBone

They sure do, and when they do, the price for them goes up. The point wasn't that the parts had to travel, but that shipping them added to their total cost. Unlike your examples, parts for foreign makes here in the states cost much more (not just a dollar or two) than similar parts for domestic.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Even if we were exactly that, the fact is America does rule. Like others have said, if we closed our borders, the rest of you would die, like it or not.

Reply to
TBone

Chain home was built without any US technology or knowhow. Indeed, it's operations were an official secret, which were not shared with the US.

In 1940, the cavity magnetron was invented at Birmingham (uk) University. Churchill, realising that Britain simply didn't have the resources to develop this technology or any of the other emerging technologies, was eventually persuaded that the US be allowed unfettered access to all the undeveloped technologies that Britain had that could be used in the war against Germany, in return for access to the US's developments of them.

The magnetron (along with details of the the Chain Home system, the Jet engine and numerous other things) were taken to America in September

1940. It was described as being a thousand times more powerful than any American transmitter and also as being "the most valuable cargo ever brought to our shores". Google for the "Tizard Mission"

Us Brits can still be proud that before WWII, we were the most technologically innovative country in the world. Oh, how times change...

Ahh. A wiki page

Alan LeHun

Then you can plonk me because I top post because I find it more convenient.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

What ? Britain already had a working radar air defence system before WW2 started.

The most practical innovation for radars during this period was the resonant cavity magnetron, invented in the UK.

Please give some example of your assertion.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Die of laughter perhaps !