Can anyone identify these "noises?"

I have a 1999 Dodge ram, extended cab automatic, 4X4 318, that is very close to being traded in for another brand of truck..

This past year this truck has more than nickle and dimed me. But I won't go into that.

I just replaced the water pump. I'm not a mechanic, so it's hard for me to diagnose things, but I usually fix them once I know what is wrong.

But now there are two noises. These noises were there before I replaced the water pump. One seems to be coming from the transmisssion. It's a very fast knocking, tapping and I can only hear it when the truck is in park. When I put the truck in reverse or drive, the noise pretty much goes away. My tranny fluid level is fine.

The other noise is sort of a high-pitched squealing, whistling noise. If I had to guess I'd say it was coming from the A/C compressor. Or maybe it's just the belt squealing on everything. It's a fairly new belt.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks

Reply to
smk17

On my 2002 Ram, the same type of noise was the new air filter. My truck HAS to have the type that has the 1" piece of foam on the top of it.

Reply to
Granny Grump

It may be the belt tensioner. I've had new tensioners make some awful noises on my Dakota.

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Thanks for the ideas. I forgot to mention, the truck has 105,000 miles.

Reply to
smk17

So far, you're comparing unloaded (park) to loaded (reverse-drive)... Does it make the same noise in neutral as park? Does the noise change with RPM? Mac

mac davis

Mac, The noise does change with RPM, and it's not as loud when it's in neutral. Thanks

Reply to
smk17

I crawled under the truck and the noise is coming from right where the transmission meets the engine.

Reply to
smk17

In the old days, that would probably be the pilot bushing... have to ask the tech in the group..

Mac

mac davis

Not with an automatic!!

Reply to
TBone

Who's the tech? So I'm assuming this noise should be listed under "bad" and "quite expensive?"

Reply to
smk17

Well, I feel like an idiot. I took the truck to a shop.

Diagnoses: Heat plate was loose.

No charge.

Reply to
smk17