Cold Air Box

I have been looking around and considering a cold air box since the air boxes on the cummins are restrictive (that is what everyone says, right?). I came across this part that is approximately 4" in diameter and is sold as a modification to the current air box. You cut a 4" hole in the bottom of the current box and the hard plastic tube fits into the hole and the other end is done near the front bumper; thus, cold air is rushed into the air box. The company I saw this advertised wanted $129 for this simple modification. Well, I spent $4 at Lowes for a 10 foot, 4" diameter piece of tubing that looks exactly like that of the $129 part. I put that in and ran the other end down to the front bumper. Not sure if it is improving anything, maybe dropping my EGTs a little, but it is too early to tell. Next I'm considering a full flow through muffler, but I can't make one of those...

Bob

2003 R3500
Reply to
Bob

for your muffler you may want to look at Geno's Garage, they have a Muffler Elimination Kit avail for the dodge trucks.

Chris Thompson

Thanks for the advice on the elimination kit. Did you put one on? Any results to share?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

its next in my list of mods. not done yet.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

I was reading up on the advantages of changing the muffler out. Everyone mentions that it will be louder. I am more concerned with increased performance and fuel mileage. What have you learned?

Thanks Bob

Reply to
Bob

I straight piped my 2K. The turbo seemed to come up a little quicker, and it was noisey as hell. Didn't notice any increase in mileage, nor performance with the sop dyno.

Roy

Reply to
Roy