Gear Ratios

I am trying to figure out which gear ratio a 96 RAM 1500 4x4 has. I know there was only a few options from the factory but this truck is new to me (bought used).

Is there a tag on the diff or something I can look at without popping the rear cover? I know if I put the truck on jacks and the tranny in neutral, I can figure it out by counting the number of drive shaft rotations it takes to turn the rear wheel on full turn but maybe there is something easier.

Thanks

Reply to
tmills65

there should be a tag on one of the bolts for the differential cover. also you could take your vin to your local dealer and have the parts department run the vin.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

Jack up the rear. Put a piece of white tape on the wheel and turn the drive shaft until the tire makes one revolution. The result will be the gear ratio. It'll get ya close enough to the ones offered out there.

Reply to
MoParMaN

If you have the stock 245/75R16 tires, running 60MPH in your transmission's

1:1 gear (that's 3rd gear if you have an automatic [O/D locked out], or 4th if you have a 5spd manual), a 3.55 ratio will turn 2350RPM, while 3.92 will turn 2600RPM. These were the only two ratios available for a 4x4 in that year.

If you have the 265/75R16 tires, those engine RPMs will drop to 2260 (for a

3.55 ratio) and 2500 (for a 3.92 ratio).

If you have some other size tire, post that back here, with your RPM at

60MPH.
Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Check your glove box... Our 99 ram and 01 dakota both have the gear info on a label in the glove box..

Mac

mac davis

Just run the numbers yourself if you want to at the below link as it does that and calculates tires sizes too.

TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Look on the underside of the hood for a decal labeled "equipment identification", the axle ratio(s) will be listed there.

Reply to
John Kunkel

Thank you all for your posts. I looked in the glove box but no sticker (you knew it wouldn't be the easy option). I'll check the hood then try the RPM/speed/Tire size method.

Thanks again.

Reply to
tmills65