Cummins Engine Life

Hi folks,

I have a 94 FWD Cummins turbo diesel with a little over 280,000 miles. It started out as my personal vehicle, then became a company truck for a business that I own, and it has come back to me in it's old age.

It runs pretty well

But it occasionally blows oil - apparently out of a breather in the engine compartment which - among other things - makes a mess under the hood.

I took it to the dealer a little over a year ago. Whoever they had look at it didn't even roll it into the shop. He opened the hood, looked at the engine, looked at the mileage and proclaimed the engine toast. They would be happy to sell me a replacement engine for 12 grand or so.

Since the vehicle books out at maybe half of that, I declined. Since then, I've used it around town, and to haul water and do odd chores. Because I like the dammed thing, I would like to fix it up (it needs a fair amount of cosmetic work - and the paint is history) But the condition of the engine is a problem.

How long should these engines be expected to last? given fairly regular oil changes and maintenance? It runs ok, but seems to be pumping out oil. Somehow I expected the diesel to last longer, but I may have been expecting too much.

Are there other things besides rings or whatever that could be pressurizing the crankcase? A heavy equipment mechanic I know suggested that the catalytic converter might be clogged.

Suggestions, observations are appreciated. Thanks a lot,

Jim Hall

520 EXC 950 LC8 Adventure turning Money into Noise...
Reply to
Jim Hall

A 94 doesn't have a cat. Well mine didn't anyway. Could your breather hose be restricted or crimped. You should, if it has been taken care of, have a bunch of miles left. You might want to take it to the nearest Cummins dealer have them take a look, toss it on their dyno and see what's what. Cummins dealer not a Dodge dealer.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

They have NEVER had CATS, only thermo reactions mistaken for CATS. THey will starting in 2008 though now that sulpher is being lowered enough to allow them to be used. (this is the main reason they are removing sulpher because is is deadly to CATS and the reason diesel have never had them in past.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

It is pumping out oil from excessive blowby pressurizing crank case. No trick is going to fix this short of maybe a ring job. You should be able to find someone to rering it and change bearing for a lot less than 12K. Also gas or diesel when oil consumption increases, changing oil often can help because clean oil seals cylinders better than dirty oil. One more thing if you are chipping or boosting it, remove this and it will reduce blow by and give you more time.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

The manufacturer seems to have a different opinion than you. Here's a snippet from the service manual:

If Cummins says it's a cat, and Daimler-Chrysler says it's a cat, then it's a cat... regardless of what YOU call it.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Call it whatever you want. I still don't think they had one on a 94. Come to think about it there wasn't one on my 2K.

Is there one on your diesel? Oh, that's right you never owned a diesel. Go back to the chevy group. Seems that when you screw up there, you run over here.

Reply to
Roy

Sorry, but a cat (catalytic converter) _IS_ a thermal reactor: hot platinum or other catylists reacts to unburned fuel and oxides.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

'02 or '03 was the first year for cats on the Cummins.

Reply to
John Kunkel

'04.5 I believe.

FMB (North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB

Put one of these on it and drive it 'till it quits:

Nosey

hmmm how bout you find the Knock Sensor on a 8.0L (488 cid) truck engine first, before you give out any more wrong information in this newsgroup???

Reply to
Chris Thompson

1/01/94 was the first of the Dodge / Cummins cats, they went away when the 24 valve was introduced. I_think_they returned 1/01/04.
Reply to
BigIronRam

The B50 number on the "B" series Cummins is 350,000 miles. That means half the engines could need serious repair before that mileage and half afterwards. Yours' may be a little under average.

Reply to
BigIronRam

Chris, he's been all over the place doing the same thing. He was just run out of a chevy group for making foolish statements.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Ya know... I was going to do a "Top 10" list for Snow-job's screwups over the past year, on New Year's Eve, but decided it would have been too "hacky" (plus, I could only come up with 8)... but since you kind of brought it up, here's my list:

  1. Dodge V10's can retard ignition timing based on knocking
  2. 3rd gen 1500's use a GM 8.25" front differential
  3. CTD/Hemi use different standard axle ratios
  4. Dodge never put a cat-con on a CTD, and won't until 2008
  5. Diesels cost more per mile to operate than big gassers
  6. Hemi Rams use vacuum for the cruise control
  7. 4xRE front pump bolts should torque to >100ft.lbs.
  8. 2nd/3rd gen 4x4 Rams should have their front wheel bearings torn down and re-greased every 100K
Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Roy I know what he's been doing. I just wanted to throw that reminder out so that any other poor sole wont be baited with misinformation.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

LOL wish I could add to it. but I'm drawing a blank.

Reply to
Chris Thompson

That's because you're limiting his bloopers to that which show up in AADT. Many more in the Chebbie and Ford truck newsgroups.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

M >
Reply to