Dakota Bogging down on acceleration or on hills...

My Dakota (1990 V6) keeps bogging down if you don't accelerate extremely slowly. It doesn't like to go more than about 35 unless you are on a slight downslope, and hills are horrible (semi-trucks pass me).

My first thought was the fuel filter, but changing it didn't change anything (actually, it seemed really great at first for my first two errands, but then after that, it was back to the same old tricks).

My next thought was the fuel pump, but I was instructed to have the catalytic converter tested. I did, and it tested great. So, I'm thinking about changing the fuel pump, but was wondering if there is anything cheaper and easier I should consider before going through the trouble of dropping the gas tank.

Thanks in advance for your help...

magmike

Reply to
magmike

ive seen stopped up exhaust systems give simmular results.

had it happen to me on a 88 comanche

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

LOL crap! cant read tonight.

how did they check the cat? exhaust backpressure gauge? you can also check the fuel pump by checking the pressure/volume using a fuel pressure gauge. sorry i dont know the specs right off. short of that i dont have any further ideas for you at the moment.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

They drilled a hole in the exhaust, stuck a wire up in there, and said it was great why welding the hole shut. I assume that is what you meant. Sorry if i'm not up on all the terms :-)

magmike

PS: where would i use the gauge at? Anywhere in the fuel line flow?

Reply to
magmike

You could try SeaFoam in a tank of gas...or a good fuel injector cleaner. I had a Jeep Cherokee that I had to put a can of injector cleaner in it every month or so; if I didn't it ran like crap.

Reply to
Advocate

I did - with no results. Besides, if you need to do that every month, either you're getting really bad gas, or there is another problem that needs to be addressed.

Reply to
magmike

they just tryied to run wire through the converter?

there should be a test port on the fuel rail on the engine. kinda looks like a valve stem. you can connect a fuel pressure gauge there. your service manual will outline the specs and test procedure. i belive the test port is on the left side of the engine, but ive been wrong before.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson