overdrive possible?

Hi Folks,

Got a '96 2500 4x4. Is there any way to add an overdrive to this rig? I'm hearing lots of noise about fuel prices getting ready to take off

-- trying to find a way to squeeze a little better mileage....

Jim

Reply to
Jim Dobbs

Workers in the oil industry saying about rumors of $15 a gallon for fuel within 5 years.

Reply to
GeekBoy

Funny, I heard a rumor that Exxon expects $20 a barrel for crude in the future. I guess ya never know.

Reply to
Max Dodge

A 96 2500 4x4 has OD already. Adding an additional OD would be counterproductive.

Reply to
Max Dodge

You mean a second overdrive, like a GearVendors

or US Gear
? One of them makes a unit for a 4x4 - I forget which. Be prepared to spend some cash...

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

You already have OD. If you are seriously concerned about MPG improvements, lower it if it is lifted and run stock type smooth treaded tires at near max pressure as this will improve MPG more than adding another com[ound OD which might actually make MPG even worse because it does not chamge the amount of power required to move truck down the road. (it actually increases it slightly because of addition power losses in a second OD unit because they are not 100% efficent.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

I really do not see how unless the US stops using oil all together. With China and India becoming more industrialized it will only get spread thinner.

Reply to
GeekBoy

And he could always put lower ratio axle gears.

Reply to
GeekBoy

Yup - if you want economy, you gotta be willing to pay for it!!

***
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

This is true only to a point because if the gearing is too tall for engine and load, MPG will decrease further. No hard set universal rules here to go by.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

My guess is that the Gulf comes back online more efficiently, and the influx of bio diesel and ethanol, as well as other sources of fuel, such as coal, will lower demand on crude oil.

Plus I'm a firm believer in the fact that part of the rise in prices is due more to speculation on the futures market than actual demand.

Reply to
Max Dodge

I would agree with that. With all this quick net day trading going on, even Warren Buffet admits its almost immposible to pick good stocks because the market is too volatile due to so many people pushing the rise and fall of markets quickly over nothing.

Reply to
GeekBoy

Possible? Yes. Cost efficient? Doubtful. Gear vendors sells an OD unit for a

4x4. But it's expensive. You would have to buy a lot of fuel and drive a lot of miles to make it pay off. The bottom line is, a Dodge is a pig. There's not much you can do to change that. The best thing you can do is make sure the truck is well tuned, tires are properly inflated, and go easy on the gas pedal. Keep in mind a Harley Dyna gets 45 mpg ;)
Reply to
.boB

On a GOOD day.

***
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Every day on a Harley is a good day :)

Reply to
.boB

Gee, is that all??? Only 45 mpg??? ;)

By my estimates, my old Cushman will get around 65 -75 mpg when it hits the road, and everyone knows the dependability of Briggs engines.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

And that average goes up when you push it home!

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Darn it, Greg. That was my secret and you gave it away.

Of course, a 250 pound Cushman would be considerably less to push when the situation rises.

VBG

Reply to
Budd Cochran

While I would not call a Dodge a pig, they have never been known for fuel efficency.

SnoMan

But by the time you get that on the road, we will all be driving electric vehicles powered by cold fusion :-)

Reply to
TBone