DTC 0336 --- PLEASE HELP!! ANYONE !!!

Hello, My 2003 3/4Ton ram is showing DTC 336. It is the "crank sensor performance" trouble code. If anyone has a service manual and can send me the diagnostic procedure, it would be terrific!

My email is: snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net

Thank You. This is a great site.

Reply to
nojodas67

Download the entire manual here. Look on the left side.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Download the entire manual here. Look on the left side.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Is this truck stock, or have you recently installed a TST PowerMax?

The diagnostic procedure starts with hooking up a dealer-only scan tool... so that's most likely out of the question.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

This manual has no mention of specific DTC's.

Reply to
nojodas67

You have to know where to look:

Symptom: P0336-CRANKSHAFT POSITION (CKP) SENSOR SIGNAL

When Monitored and Set Condition:

P0336-CRANKSHAFT POSITION (CKP) SENSOR SIGNAL

When Monitored: With the key on.

Set Condition: The voltage detected at the Crankshaft position sensor is below a calibrated value.

POSSIBLE CAUSES CKP SENSOR (G17) SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN (K6) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT OPEN (K167) RETURN CIRCUIT OPEN (G17) SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO (K167) RETURN CIRCUIT (K6) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO (K167) RETURN CIRCUIT (G17) SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO (K6) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT (G17) SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND (K6) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO BATTERY NEGATIVE INTERMITTENT CONDITION ECM

TEST ACTION

1 Disconnect the CKP sensor harness connector. NOTE: Check connectors - Clean/repair as necessary. Measure the resistance between the (K6) 5-volt supply circuit and the (G17) signal circuit of the sensor harness connector.

Is the resistance between 900 and 1100 ohms?

Yes -> Go To 2

No -> Replace the CKP sensor. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL).

2 Disconnect the ECM harness connectors.

Disconnect the CKP sensor harness connector. Check connectors - Clean/repair as necessary. Measure the resistance of the (G17) signal circuit between the ECM harness connector and the CKP sensor harness connector.

Is the resistance less than 10 ohms?

Yes -> Go To 3

No -> Repair the open (G17) signal circuit. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL).

3 Measure the resistance of the (K6) 5-volt supply circuit between the ECM harness connector and the CKP sensor harness connector.

Is the resistance less than 10 ohms?

Yes -> Go To 4

No -> Repair the open (K6) 5-volt supply circuit. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL).

4 Measure the resistance of the (K167) return circuit between the ECM harness connector and the CKP sensor harness connector.

Is the resistance less than 10 ohms?

Yes -> Go To 5 No -> Repair the open (K167) return circuit. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL).

5 Measure the resistance between the (G17) signal circuit and the (K167) return circuit in the sensor connector.

Is the resistance greater than 100k Ohms?

Yes -> Go To 6

No -> Repair the short circuit or replace the engine harness. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL).

6 Measure the resistance between the (K6) 5-volt supply circuit and the (K167) return circuit in the sensor connector.

Is the resistance greater than 100k Ohms?

Yes -> Go To 7

No -> Repair the short circuit or replace the engine harness. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL).

7 Measure the resistance between the (G17) signal circuit and ground.

Is the resistance greater than 100k Ohms?

Yes -> Go To 8 No -> Repair the short circuit or replace the engine harness. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL).

8 Measure the resistance between the (K6) 5-volt supply circuit and ground.

Is the resistance greater than 100k Ohms?

Yes -> Go To 9

No -> Repair the short circuit or replace the engine harness. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL).

9 Measure the resistance between the (G17) signal circuit and the (K6) 5-volt supply circuit in the sensor connector.

Is the resistance greater than 100k Ohms?

Yes -> Go To 10

No -> Repair the short circuit or replace the engine harness. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL).

10 Reconnect the ECM harness connectors. Ignition on, engine not running. With the DRBIII, erase DTCs. Connect a jumper wire between the sensor supply circuit and the sensor return circuit in the sensor harness connector.

Did DTC P0337 set?

Yes -> Refer to the INTERMITTENT CONDITION Symptom (Diagnostic Procedure). Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL).

No -> Replace the ECM. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL).

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Tom, A year ago I installed the Banks Six Gun box and since then, I receive very intermittently this same error code. Sometimes the dash light resets itself and sometimes I have to reset this error with the dealer scan tool DRB III? When using the tool, other than the recorded error, no problem is ever found. I have checked all the connections several times and they are ok. It has been impossible for me to determine where the fault lies. It will be either a faulty crank sensor or a problem with the Banks box. I have called Banks and asked them if they have heard of this problem before and they have not. This is a Hall effect sensor and they can be sensitive to the gap between the tone wheel teeth and the sensor core rod, but the gap looks ok. I have ordered a new sensor because it will be the easiest way to determine where the problem lies. As far as frequency, maybe it has occurred 6 times, in a year. When the fault occurs, no other condition or observable indicator exists, like a misfire, but I recently noticed that the fault occurs if I have to abruptly lift my foot during heavy engine load and high turbo boost. There is no bearing on the power position of the Banks power selector switch. This abrupt pedal lift would be something that could make the turbo bark, but I have not heard a bark. I do have the silencer ring installed and a stock air filter though, so there is a chance I would not hear a bark if one occurred. What is your best guess as to the source of the fault? Steve

"Tom Lawrence" wrote in message news:omRif.10185$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Well, the Banks is very similar to the TST with respect to how it modifies injection timing - by intercepting the CPS signal and playing with it. Occasionally, it plays with it enough to cause the ECM to get suspicious, and theow a P0336 code, because what the ECM is seeing from the CPS isn't jiving with what it's expecting.

I get this every now and then with my TST... it used to be worse, and it used to almost always occur when it was wet out. I suspect some water was getting into the sensor connections and causing a problem. I've since coated the connections with di-electric grease, and almost never get the problem. Very rarely, when conditions are right, and I'm lugging the engine (kinda hard to do with an auto tranny, but possible), it will pop.

Additionally, TST found a programming issue with their early boxes, and have addressed that with re-flashes. Come to think of it, I haven't hard a P0336 code since I swapped boxes for one with a newer program.

I find it very hard to believe Banks has never heard of this problem... sounds more like the standard tech-support "go away, I'm eating lunch" response.

In the end, though, it's juse something you'll need to live with as long as the Six Gun is installed. As you observed, it doesn't affect the engine's operation. For a while, I just rode around with an OBD-II scan tool in my center console (and in fact, still have it there), and would check/clear the code whenever it popped up. There's nothing else you can do about it.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Thanks Tom, pretty much what I expected. By the way, have you done the tone ring mod? Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Nah... no real reason to. The TST already advances the timing about as much as it should go. Advancing it further by clocking the tone ring would introduce too much advance, hurting performance. For someone without a timing box, though, it's a cheap way to pick up some performance.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Sorry to be a pia but it is busy as hell here. Talk to me about the tone ring mod please.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

What guys are doing is unbolting the tone ring, and ovalling out the mounting holes a bit, allowing them to re-install the ring clocked a few degrees, which advances the timing. This came about after a company started offering modified crank sensors, where they modified the mount so that it sat a few degrees forward of stock, producing the same result.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

No idea. I'm sure there are sites where the manual is available for a price. If you find one, let me know, I'm starting to gather digital service manuals for future reference.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Shouldn't this question be in alt.cell.phone?

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Is there any real improvement in performance when increasing the timing. I would almost be afraid to do that as it would probably cause the ECM to go nuts as it tries to compensate.

Reply to
nojodas67

Is there any real performance improvement by doing that or just the real chance to screw something up.

Reply to
nojodas67

Is there any real performance improvement by doing that or just the real chance to screw something up.

Reply to
nojodas67

About 20HP and about 2MPG improvements. The HPCR's are retarded (4°, I think??) compared to the older 24V's, all in the name of emissions.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

With an '03 HO also?

Reply to