Fuel economy on 01 Cummins

I have a friend who owns an 01 3500 w/ Cummins that is asking how he can get better fuel mileage. He currently gets about 13mpg. The truck is an AT w/

4.10 gearing. Since my 00 gets 19.5mpg or so, I'm not much help in solving the MPG problem, since I don't have it.

Anyone have any tips?

Reply to
Max Dodge

A bad IAT sensor can kill the fuel mileage without any other symptoms.

Reply to
Nosey

Its a dually, thats all they had in 01 3500's IIRC. Its 4x4, but then so is mine, and I'm pulling 19.8 avg on trips, where he's doing a best of 13 on trips.

Reply to
Max Dodge

It sometimes doesn't set a code. It can run fine otherwise. See:

Nosey

Good info, I'll pass it along. If the 1.9 mpg improvement that Marco got (link on Fritz's site) is seen by my friend, he'll definitely be happy.

Reply to
Max Dodge