gas gauge problems, Ram 1500

Well, I know the sending units have been faulty on a lot of trucks. But in my particular case, the actual float came off the float arm and read empty all the time....after it exhibited the problems you described. Best I could deduce was the float was actually holding the arm up higher than the actually fuel level was. Took it out, reattached it and it operated normally for a while. I'm sure I'll have to replace it eventually though. Yours may be in the same boat as mine. Either way, you'll have to remove it to find out.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works, Inc

Aside from how fast it drops...

My gas gauge, after I fill the 25 gallon tank, stays above F for about

120 miles. Then in the next 280 miles the gauge drops like a lead balloon. Why the heck can't Dodge make a reliable gauge?

Anyway, a week ago the gas gauge was on 1/8 of a tank. I ran out of gas two miles later.

What the???

Is this normal or is my gauge messed up?

The first time I ran out of gas with this truck it was really on E.

Ram 1500, 4X4 318.

Thanks Steve

Reply to
Steve K

It's a 1999.

Reply to
Steve K

Every Chrysler product I have ever owned took forever to come down to the full mark. My 2000 Cherokee takes about 65-70 miles, my 91 Sundance about 45 or so. I've never had one run out before Empty tho, so I am guessing you have a float problem. The 120 miles on the Ram does sound high, I had a 97

1500 4x4, I think it only went about 40 - 50 miles before it came down to the full mark, then dropped like a rock after the 3/4 mark, like all the other Chryslers I've owned, my 94 Voyager was the worst.
Reply to
b.clausen

Hey, Steve, I dunno if this'll help but...

My '98 1500 360 auto that is now my father's truck has some weird problems with the fuel gauge. He has called me a few times to tell me the gauge is so low he's afraid he can't make it to town (he lives about 8 miles outside a small town) and wants me to be on standby in case he runs out of fuel. I had begun to suspect that someone was siphoning gas from his tank until one day he was at my house and fired it up and I watched the thing, after he'd told me he was almost out of gas and didn't understand it because he'd had half a tank the day before, start climbing after sitting near empty for several seconds. It wound up climbing, over several moments, to almost a half a tank. I have not troubleshooted the problem so I can't help you there. But I can tell you you're not the only one with some odd fuel level problems. FWIW.

Please let us know what you find to be the trouble with yours.

--HC

Reply to
HC