Jimmy gas gauge

1991 GMC S15 Jimmy 4x4 V6 4.3L

Running great still, went on a 500 mile trip last week w/no problems. ;-)

Anyway, there is one thing that is bugging me... the gas gauge on that truck has always been off by a quarter of a tank. When I'm full, it stays full for a looong time, and when it gets to a little under a quarter of a tank, I'm out of fuel.

Is there an easy way to adjust the scale of that gauge electrically, or am I stuck pulling the sensor off of the tank...?

-- orko

Reply to
Orko

Buy a Non-GM vehicle. that problem seems to be endemic with GMs.

rhys

Reply to
rnf2

i have a 92 with the same problem but mines off a half a tank. The guy who replaced the fuel pump told me he must of bent the float?. if been getting around to dropping the tank for a year or so.(big job )

Reply to
bmaty

Gee, thanks. You're a big help ;-)

-- orko

Reply to
Orko

I was afraid of that... thanks for sharing in my pain though ;-)

-- orko

Reply to
Orko

Jimmy gas gauge Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Tue, Dec 30, 2003, 8:09am (CST-2) From: joe snipped-for-privacy@charter.net (Orko)

1991 GMC S15 Jimmy 4x4 V6 4.3L Running great still, went on a 500 mile trip last week w/no problems. ;-) Anyway, there is one thing that is bugging me... the gas gauge on that truck has always been off by a quarter of a tank. When I'm full, it stays full for a looong time, and when it gets to a little under a quarter of a tank, I'm out of fuel. Is there an easy way to adjust the scale of that gauge electrically, or am I stuck pulling the sensor off of the tank...?

-- orko

GM has a update for the PCM on some models ..With erratic reading fuel gauges...Seems they put two different size tanks in some models but Ran the same program in the pcm....Call the dealer with your vin to see if your truck is one with the update... Steve C

Reply to
Steve Cook

Won't be the problem here, ECM knows nothing of the fuel gauge on that model :-)

Reply to
Robert Hancock

well orko most likely the float is either hitiing something like the fuel pump sock or hitting the baffles in the tank the sensor is bad and you will have to replace the float or the sender

Reply to
gmgoodwrench2002

I've got a 84 Silverado 4x4 and it's empty registering about 1/2 a tank. It's in the sending unit.

Jimb

Reply to
Dad
1991 GMC S15 Jimmy 4x4 V6 4.3L Running great still, went on a 500 mile trip last week w/no problems. ;-) Anyway, there is one thing that is bugging me... the gas gauge on that truck has always been off by a quarter of a tank. When I'm full, it stays full for a looong time, and when it gets to a little under a quarter of a tank, I'm out of fuel. Is there an easy way to adjust the scale of that gauge electrically, or am I stuck pulling the sensor off of the tank...?

-- orko

in a nutshell ya want to fix it replace the sending unit ...Whch means drop the tank good luck..

Reply to
Steve Cook

Thanks. I'll concede then ;-)

Looks like there is no adjustment that I could do on the dashboard gauges, so I'll be doing the sending unit adjustment/replacement when it's warmer outside. Probably on a dry day in the spring/summer.

-- orko

Reply to
Orko