help removing hub - what a pain

I've taken the hub nut off and the bolts on the back are off. The hub seems stuck. I've tried everything except a hub puller which I don't have access to (can't find one close by). I've read it can be done without the puller but how? One person got behind it and "tapped" it off, I've tried that but this hub is really stuck. I don't want to damage anything.

Advice please?

Reply to
newworldactor

Put the hub bolts back in, leaving about 1/8" gap between the bolt head and the knuckle. Turn the wheel to give yourself some clearance, and strike the bolt heads HARD with a hammer. When the heads bottom out, back them off another 1/8", and repeat.

When a hub is that stuck, a hub puller will more than likely pull the hub bearing apart, effectively destroying it.

Of course, soaking the joint between hub and knuckle with good penetrating oil is always a good idea.

Year and model would be helpful to know, as well. The 1/2 ton hub bearings tend to rust in place stronger than the 3/4 and 1-ton bearings.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence