Size of lock nut of front hub? Where to get it?

I broke a lug on the front wheel when I tried to loosen the lug nut. To replace the lug/hub, I started disassemble the front hub. Now I am stuck by the lock nut of the front hub. I tried the largest socket (27mm) and it still won't fit.

What's the size of the lock nut? Where to get a new lock nut? After I take off the old hub, should I change the hub or ask a garage to replace the broken lug? Which is more expensive?

Appreciate your advice

Tingfang

Reply to
Tingfang Ji

nut.

Now I am

socket

garage

That nut is 29mm according to the Enthusiasts Manual - and you need to straighten out the staked area where it's in a groove on the stub axle first. Also according to the EM, it's difficult to find a 29mm and they used a 1-1/8 in AF socket. They also used

3/4" drive equipment and a breaker bar to loosen the nut because it's supposed to be torqued to 123-159lbf ft during assembly.

The lug nuts are pressed into the hub so if you don't have access to a press, you might want someone else to do the work for you.

-- Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

Walk in Sears. Point to 29 mm socket in glass case. Wait for key of glass case to be found. Pay considerable money for single socket used three times, if that, in life.

Of course, the writers of EM live in GB, where they still divide their feet into twelve inches, which is both very stupid and really painful for walking, after which the torturers divide each piece into two 1/2", and those into four 1/4", and so on at nauseam, until they reach 1/32, of which the latter half can then be used to provide a logical temperature for freezing, and if you jump back and forward between the ends you find a logical temperature for boiling as 212. After which the British happily retire to their pub, which closes at 11, because that is what you get if you forget to jump the next time, to think up new numbers.

Leon

Yes, I said "after", not "before".

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Iva,

Thanks for the tip. As you pointed out, the 29mm socket can't be found in autozone (didn't know sears have it until now). So I bought the

1-1/8" AF and it worked just fine. I used a 1/2" drive and a pipe to get the lock nut off.

It's suprisingly easy to knock out the broken wheel stud and knock in a new one. I couldn't find a new lock-nut for the front hub so I simply put back the old one and notched the stake area again.

So the total cost to me for a broken wheel stud is about $2.00 + the huge 1-1/8" socket that I'll probably never use again :) Can't imagine how much I'll be charged if I get a tow truck and get it fixed in a garage.

Appreciate your help.

TJ

Reply to
Tingfang Ji

I read some where that the Brits are considering extending the hours of the pubs until 2 or so in the morning to reduce the last minute binge drinking at closing time. It said something about too many young drivers having a last pint before leaving the pub. Don't ask me why they think less of them will be doing this at 2 in the morning. Might be better to simply require young drivers to drive British sports cars that won't start most of the time any way. The drunk ones will either sleep it off in the car or stumble their way home.

Gus (91 BRG)

Reply to
Gus

Maybe based on experiences in the rest of Europe?

Sounds like a good idea to me. They will have a chance to live and design more car electrics the next day. Even more lives saved!

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen