How to change the power steering oil filter

My car is Town and Country 2003, but I think it's either close too or identical to a dodge van.

The question is that my power steering pump made noise, so I am changing it. However, I heard that I need to clean the oil filter for this tool. My question is this:

1) Is there such a thing (oil filter for steering pump), and if so, where is it?

2) If the oil filter is in the reservoir as one of the mechanics I talked to, how do I take it out. Look at the reservoir, it seems to be a plastic container that doesn't have way to open it (I haven't taken it out yet).

3) Do I have to change the oil too? How? The mechanics told me that poor oil on top, and let it pushes the old oil out. That means I have to have an opening in the bottom somewhere. One place I can see is the 2 input/output of the oil cooler. Also, if I let oil out of one of those 2 two, would that be enough (full path)?

4) If I need to change the oil, then it seems I need to put back the oil pump first, the question is that would it block the oil flow when I change the oil?

Thanks.

Reply to
vd

It is in the bottom of the reservoir. You'll need to get a new reservoir to get the filter/strainer. Good news is that it's not an expensive part....$15-$20 if I remember right.

The way I do this is to use a suction gun to pull as much fluid out of the reservoir as possible then replace the reservoir. Put the hose going to the pump on and stick the end of the return hose in a gallon jug. Cap off the return fitting in the reservoir with a rubber "cork" for the time being. Start the engine and leave it idle while pouring new fluid in the reservoir. It'll take about 2-3 quarts till the clean fluid comes out of the return line. Hook up the return line and clean up the mess.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

If the fluid is low, the pump will make noise.

I know of no filter on the steering system.

How do you know it's the steering pump? I had to replace one on my Chevy S-10 Blazer, but that was cause it didn't work well, and I was tired of the steering being hard to turn. I question if it's a bad pump, on a four year old vehicle.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sorry, for the slow reply.

The fluid was not low. The noise occurs even when I don't steer and the car is not moving. When the car is not moving, if I rotate the steering wheel a little bit, the noise is much louder. After replace the pump and the oil, the noise is gone with very limited testing.

I however notice a new problem now though. When changing the power steering pump, I notice the 2 boots near the inner tie rods are both wet with oil. I also heard twice lately (once before and once after the change of the pump) a loud cracking noise on when turning the wheel while backing the car up from parking. Could someone please tell me how the oil is leaked here? I plan to open it up, but I want to learn a bit about it before doing this. Usually with this problem, which component(s) fail?

Thanks.

Reply to
vd