How to find a good body shop

I just picked up my five month old 2005 Dodge Ram diesel from the body shop. The truck had a four inch long vertical dent about as wide and deep as a finger that crossed the contour line of the left rear fender where our travel trailer jacknifed against it as I was attempting to turn around at walking speed in a cul-de-sac.

When I took the truck in to be repaired, I asked the body shop owner if he could repair the dent or if he would need to replace the box. "Oh nooooo..." he said, "We don't need to replace the box... We can fix the dent."

After the initial repair of the dent, I noticed several areas of ripples in the finish of the fender repair. I returned to the body shop and told them to fix it.

After the second attempt to repair the fender, the ripples were fixed but coarse sanding marks, dust particles, and pin-point defects were present in the finish. The sanding marks were so coarse it looked like somebody had applied the paint with a bristle brush.

So I took the truck back A THIRD time. After picking the truck up, OK, no ripples..... no sanding marks, but the styling crease formed into the fender at the factory - has a noticeably softer edge for approximately 8 inches horizontally over the area of repair. I can also feel a dip in the surface of the fender roll at this spot.

I went back to the shop, raised hell, and they refunded my money ($500).

But now I have to find another body shop to fix this right.

Can you folks suggest any tips for finding a reputable body shop?

Thanks...

Jim

Reply to
castironjim

Word of mouth...you might go to a local drive-in on it's weekly "Back to the

50's Night" and ask the owners of the perfect cruisers and street rods who they would recommend. Believe me, they will know the best body man in the area.
Reply to
Lance LaFrinier