How To Read Codes '88 Mighty Max or D-50

Hi. Anyone know where I can find the info online on how to read the error codes on an '88 Mighty Max? It's 2.6L 4WD 2bl. I found a list of the codes but can't figure out where to read them from. Auto Zone's site says it's under the dash to the driver's side of the glove box but all I can find is some wiring connectors. My understanding is that this truck is the same as the D-50 (and I guess the Plymouth Arrow).

Thanks.

Reply to
Ulysses

Do you have the right code reader for this vehicle? Pre 96 so won't be ODBII.

Reply to
PeterD

I was under the impression that the codes would be read with a light bulb or a voltmeter on this one. Or maybe flashes of the "Maint Req'd" light.

Reply to
Ulysses

The tool that I have for reading codes on my 89Mighty Max is a miller special tool. it has a volt meter built in and the codes sweep the analog gauge. similar to manually checking codes on ford vehicles. the only difference is the box plugs inline to the ecm at the right side kick panel. The tool also is useful for checking sensor voltages. Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

Suddenly, without warning, PeterD exclaimed (2/10/2009 5:27 PM):

Wow, you still have one of these? I had two Mighty Max truck in my life

- the 1988 was my very first new vehicle, later I had a 1991 which was also a good truck. I was kinda sad when Mitsubishi discontinued these trucks, though I still think they had one of the sillier names in truckdom :)

jmc Who's had her Dakota since 2001.

Reply to
jmc

Thank you! Now at least I know where to look.

Reply to
Ulysses

I generally refer to it as the Mighty Mouse. This truck sat abandoned on top of a hill for several years which is perhaps the reason it is still usable. It has 240K miles on it. The engine was froze, the carb valves were so froze I couln't move them with a hammer, the fuel pump was stuck, and lots of stuff kinda rotted away from being in the elements with the hood open. The blower fan wouldn't turn because rats had built a nest in it. It had four flat tires. The compression was rather low on the #3 cylinder but it's improving with use. The 4WD works fine and I've been using it as a ranch vehicle to drag my roads and get firewood etc. It's running so well that if I could get the Maint Req'd light to go out and stop running too rich I just might be able to get it to pass a California smog test but I rather got the impression that they generally have trouble passing and there are very few on the road possibly for that reason. It was about as ugly and neglected-looking as a truck can get but somehow it's looking better--I guess it just needed to be needed. So far the only money I spent on it was for a new oil filter and oil. Everything else I was able to finagle back into functionality. To me that indicates it's a very durable little truck and probably worth fixing up.

Reply to
Ulysses