How To Read Error Codes '88 Mighty Max?

Hi. I've Googled, Yahooed, and Auto Zoned and can't find any info. Can someone tell me how the error codes are read on a '88 Mighty Max (2.4L 4WD)? The Service Engine light is on and it's running too rich. My guess is that the O2 sensor is bad but I don't want to start replacing stuff that might not need replacing.

After that a list of the codes would be nice too. I'm gonna get a manual but right now I only have $3 and my mortgage is due.

Reply to
Ulysses

If you live in the US and have an Autozone nearby you can take it to them and they will read the OBDII error code for free.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Except of course it's an '88, so its an OBD1 (or its predecessor, if there is one).

For the 89 models (maybe for the 88 too) get a +12v LED (for maybe 0.50) and about 48" of 26H wire. Find the diagnostic port under the dash and connect the LED across the diagonal pins. One way will light up the LED. A long pulse == 10, short pulse = 1. So LONG LONG SHORT = code 21.

Here's the OBD1 codes.

11 = Front O2 Sensor 12 = MAF Sensor 13 = Intake Air Temp Sensor 14 = Throttle Position Sensor 21 = Coolant Temp Sensor 22 = Crank Position Sensor 23 = Cam Position Sensor 24 = Speed Sensor 25 = Barometric Sensor 36 = IGN Adjustment Signal 41 = Injector Fault 42 = Fuel Pump 44 = Ign Coil

If your engine is running rich then you can expect some or all of codes 11,

12, 13, 21, maybe 41.

regards Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart,

Thanks for the catch here and great instructions...

I read '88, but my brain was thinking '98. (OBDII began in 1996 as I recall!)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Thanks for the great info, and thanks for overlooking my mistake on the engine size. It should have been 2.6, not 2.4. I must have been thinking about my Nissan Frontier. The good news is that most of the codes you mention don't apply cause it's carburated so that kinda narrows it down to the temp sensor and the O2 sensor. I don't know if it has an air intake temp sensor--don't think so. I'm worried about the O2 sensor breaking while attempting to replace it--it seems awful tight.

I didn't see any diagnostic port under the dash but I'll look again. It's similar to how I read the codes on my '91 Explorer but that's with a voltmeter.

As for Auto Zone, unfortunately this truck was an abandoned vehicle and has not been registered for for several years and it's 17 miles to AZ and my chances of making it without getting pulled over are very slim. It's runs good enough now to drag my dirt roads and get firewood and such but someone crashed into my Nissan (head-on!) so the Mighty Max is looking good right now. It seems to be very capable in 4WD.

Reply to
Ulysses