92 Exploder, gas guage kaput, help?

My gas guage is not werking any more.

Electricity off = just above empty. Electricity on= right on empty, not below, not above

Negative ground bad?

It was working so-so for a few weeks just before it crapped out. It would be on empty and than it would rise up and go to the right place.

Now it's just empty all the time.

How do I fix this?

92 Explorer 4x4 four door

TIA

Reply to
michael

most likely its your float, they had a problem with them, drop the tank pull out the assembley and resolder the float.

Reply to
dreonic

As others will tell you, the common failure is the little brass float in the tank. It's a little drawn bulb with a "groove" formed in it. The wire support for the float wraps around the float in this groove. While it's possible to drain all the fuel out of the float and try to solder it, the brass is quite thin to start with, and it's really thin where it's worn through. Fortunately, this is one part that the dealer sells as a repair part without having to buy the whole pump/sender assy. So drop by the dealere parts counter with maybe $10 and bring one home.

Drain the tank, Lower the tank from its supports carefully on a jack with a pad, and release the hose connections on top, and the ground wire and sender/pump wires that unplug. Lower the tank the rest of the way. Two people working on this makes it a lot easier/safer.

The pump/sender is held in by a big locking ring that is probably rusted in place a bit. PB Blaster and a soak for a bit will help, then coax the ring off with gentle application of hammer with a drift. With the ring off, the sender/pump will lift out. Pop the old float out, new float in, and reassemble.

Note how the bolts/straps/skid plate bolt together before you disassemble to make reassembly easier.

Normal fire safety precautions apply. Work outside, away from the house. Charged garden hose and a big fire extinguisher handy. No smoking, etc.

Should do the trick....

dr bob

Reply to
dr bob

Hey, when you get an answer let me know. I'm having the same problem on the same vehicle.

Reply to
John Riggs

sounds to me like your float is bad, the intermittent problems you were experiencing, were due to corrosion, now its got an actual hole.

Reply to
kingj

Hmmmm ..... sounds about right. I just got done doing mine. Pilled the tank, the sending unit, pulled off the float and resoldered the little solder plug on the end ( and resoldered the joint that runs around the middle ) and it seems to be working fine

Reply to
John Riggs