locking gas cap

Do they make locking gas caps for 1st gen Durangos since the cap is tethered to the inside?

Check with dodge parts, they should have one. Make sure its a mopar part, if its not Dodge will not warranty it if it should start rusting :)))) Dale

Reply to
Dale Yonz

Good point...Something someone failed to mentioned when I asked this question a few weeks ago....But no problem..Anyone who wants to try and steal 2-4 gallons of gas from my Durango is really desperate..:)

Reply to
Gene (Ya fooking idiot!)

Thats why I make sure and only have 1-2 gallons in the tank! ;-)

I am thinking about getting a locking cap for my Dak too... my truck is parked most the time so anyone could help them selves... at almost $3/gal, I would rather not distribute it for free.

Reply to
Trey

You only keep 1-2 gallons in it? Don't you drive the truck anywhere?

Nah, I usually keep it in about the half tank area... I fill it about once a month... Its my weekend vehicle... I commute on my motorcycle.

Reply to
Trey

Around here (New Brunswick, Canada) they (crooks) have a new trick. They drill your tank and drain your gas out.

Reply to
High Sierra

Well I suppose if those jerks are going to go to that much trouble to steal gas, there's not much that can be done.

any locking gas cap can be removed with a flathead screwdriver. anyone who wants your gas will still take it.

Reply to
xmirage2kx

Any sharp hardened tip can drop a tempered window. Anyone who wants your car will still take it.

Its not the "thief" that Im protecting against. They will get what ever they want. Its simply to reduce the temptation... Plus, with a locking cap pried off. Its harder to explain "yeah, my buddy said I could take a few gallons from his truck"

Reply to
Trey

Unless they use a brass drill bit, we'll be hearing about some thieves who get "fried" :)

Or has that already been happening?

Reply to
Gene (Ya fooking idiot!)

LMAO!!!! I'd love to see some F'in moron get fried just for stealing a little gas. It'd serve them right for being so completely idiotic. Of course I'd feel bad for the owner of the vehicle for losing it due to fire.

Andd when's the last time you saw a metal fuel tank on a pickup truck?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Since I haven't worked on them in a couple of decades, that would tend to tell you something??

Of course, I'm sure you'd be more then happy to disbuse the information of how they are now all made of something else?

Reply to
Gene (Ya fooking idiot!)

Yup, that your input is dated.

Nah, hopefully he will leave you in the dark.

Reply to
Roy

Don't look under Chevies or Fords because they are steel tanks. GM just uses a plastic cover over them. Most SUVs are steel tanks as well.

Reply to
Steve W.

"" wrote: > > Unless they use a brass drill bit, we'll be hearing about > some > > thieves who get "fried" :) > > Andd when's the last time you saw a metal fuel tank on a > pickup truck?

no prying needed. Takes less time then using the key more often then not. but the tether will come off with a screw and it should be easy enough to attach it to a new cap if you cant find one. also you might try looking for tethered caps that just fit the same, shouldnt have to be dodge OEM.

Reply to
xmirage2kx