Locking gas cap for PT Cruiser ?

2006 PT Cruiser Touring Edition. Does anyone make a safe locking gas cap for it that will not trigger the check engine light ?
Reply to
Steven Stone

Don't waste your money on it. you don't need it

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

You say that because the PT has effective anti-siphon filler design?

I understand that Chrysler makes an anti-locking cap that you can put on the LH cars and it can be keyed to the ignition key, Glenn. (Perhaps it would be the same locking cap that would work on the PT, the question of whether it's needed or not aside.) Should I forego that for my LH cars also, and if so, why?

Bill Putney

FWIW, I recently bought a STANT 11508 for my 08 Caravan that works fine. Got it at Checker Auto Parts.

From

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4-Cyl. 2.4 L Application Product Type Part # Comments Fuel Cap Regular Fuel Cap 10838 Regular Locking Fuel Cap 10508
Reply to
QX

I forgot to mention, it was about the same price as the dealer wanted, about $15.00, but the parts guy said it has to be keyed to the iginition key by the service department, and that it was quite expensive to have them do that.

Reply to
QX

|> Does anyone make a safe locking gas cap for it that will not trigger |> the check engine light ? | |Don't waste your money on it. you don't need it | | |Glenn Beasley |Chrysler Tech | | |

Please explain ???

Reply to
Steven Stone

The fuel tank has a ping pong ball at the neck of the tank which is supposed to seal the fuel from spilling out if the vehicle is rolled over. The ball is part of the tank and if you try to stick a hose into the neck down into the tank..... this ball prevents the hose from entering. The ball floats off the seat as you fill the tank up. If the ball ever gets a hole in it or fills up with fuel the cust complaint is "cant fill the tank with fuel". Due to the ball filled with fuel it will not raise off the seat to allow fuel to enter. Locking gaps are useless. besides that, a hairpin or safety pin can pick these in about 20 seconds.

Reply to
maxpower

Thats true. But it "might" keep the ex girlfriend from opening up your gas filler and dumping some nasty contaminates or some other garbage in your tank. ;)

Reply to
ULB