my engine icon is lit on my 2001 ram 1500

i own a 2001 dodge ram 1500 with a 360 cu. in. motor and the off road package thanks to this web site i was able to generate the engine diagnostic code p1281 but i dont know what it means please help anaybody

Reply to
"jeffrey m via CarKB.com

Injector control pressure out of range (LOW)

Reply to
Coasty

Huh???

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

P1281 indicates the ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor didn't register a warm-enough reading. There are two causes here - either a bad ECT sensor, or a stuck-open thermostat. Both are pretty simple to change, but you'll need to do a little diagnostic work to determine which one's really bad. Measuring the voltage from the ECT with a DVM, and comparing to a chart of known voltage-to-temperature mappings, or using an OBD-II scan tool that can read the ECT output directly, will help you determine if the sensor is bad.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Reply to
"jeffrey m via CarKB.com

Yes it will, eventually.

Reply to
TBone

It will go out on it's own after more than several (50, I believe) ignition cycles. You cna clear the code immediately with an OBD-II scan tool, or by disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes or so.

Now - I ask this question with all sincerity... do you have the ability to diagnose this problem yourself, and then do you have the ability to either change this sensor or change the thermostat? If the answer to any of those is 'no', then you're better off in the long run by having a shop take care of it. It will save you money in the end.

Either way, good luck with it

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

One too many pages over that was a Ford code correct on the Engine is cold too long.

Reply to
Coasty

Heh... the wonders of manufacturer-specific diagnostic codes... they do this on purpose just to make life difficult for the rest of us, you realize... :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

yep, one would think all codes would be generic but, that would make sense. Like one oil filter, one spark plug type, one motor oil type, one coolant type, one transmission fluid type, to fit all make and models of a particular auto manufacture. Then I woke up from a cold sweat.

Reply to
Coasty

Let's not leave out the one unit of measure... metric OR SAE, not both. Stop with the Torx heads, the 12-point heads, the octagonals, and any other off-the-wall, one-off fastener.

Yeah... dare to dream...

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I have your answer to the bolt problem go over to alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4 and see.

Reply to
Coasty