OD or not to OD

I have a 2003 Dodge Durango..Was wondering if it's ok to leave OD on all the time or not.

Reply to
Gene

Yes, and that's by design. With OD off your fuel economy will suffer greatly.

About the only time I think I might consider turning OD off would be if I was towing something over hilly or mountainous terrain.

Reply to
RamMan

I agree. Thats the way they make them to run. I never turn mine off unless pulling.

Reply to
storby

I pretty much follow the owner's manual on that one.. I seem to remember that it recommended locking out OD if you were in a lot of traffic and staying under 30 mpg.. locking OD out stops a lot of hunting... shifting down every time that you hit the gas, then back up as soon as you lift your foot at all..

I also lock out od on mountain roads where you're not going to be going over about 40.. it feels like I have a bit more control, (like down shifting a stick), and prevents it from shifting up as you take your foot off the accelerator going into a turn.. YMMV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

It will not hurt a thing and it not really a bad idea around town or towing as they will be less hunting through gears. On a flat hiway cruise with no load you might lose a few MPG but there is a lot of other varibles that determine how big the loss is if at all in some cases.

Reply to
SnoMan

How did we survive for many years without OD??? In a big SUV it will not make that much difference, maybe a few MPG at most and if it has taller ratios to begine with and oversized rubber, MPG will likely improve.

Reply to
SnoMan

No problem, unless you are going up or down a long hill or mountain.

JAM

Reply to
Johnny Thunder