OT: welding 101

I'm just a novice user with asperations of staying a novice user. I can format a drive, install software and most hardware and reboot my system . . .that's enough. My last programming was done with Commodore C=64 running Basic.

Then go for it. Like I said, move up when able, if you need to

It's a good skill to know. It's the only welding you can do with car batteries and jumper cables 100 miles from anywhere.

Well, don't tell anyone or they'll make me wear a hat to cover it up. . . . .

I got arthritis, heart problems, diabetes from my folks and had Polio as a kid . . . I'm a walking mess!!!

Budd

***
Reply to
Budd Cochran

I inherited some physical limits from my

But you're still walking around, pointy head and all rach

Reply to
Rachel Easson

Dear Nathan,

I typically ignore personal attacks -- thrown at me, they are usually shit sliding off a teflon coat in the rain, and I figure most other outgoing recipients feel likewise, so there is usually no need to defend the injured party. If I inadvertently attack someone personally, either I was the oly one who got the joke, or I was pityingly poor in expressing a remark well-intentioned ;-)

I found your link extremely useful, and the video was excellent. I forwarded to my teacher (for other inquiring students' minds who want to know.) The video is an excellent medium for this, and I am going to look for more welding instructional videos. When the weather is nice and Marcel, my neighbour's brother, has time, I will ask him to coach me a bit, do a bunch of practice, and repeat, repeatedly, each time he comes up (most weekends) with his welder.

Thanks again

rach

Reply to
Rachel Easson

(SHHH!!!! I told you not to mention that!!) (VBG)

Yeah, but occasionally I have to get my "training wheel" ( cane) back out so it can exercise a bit.

Budd

***
Reply to
Budd Cochran

Now, didn't I say he was good?

Reply to
Budd Cochran

This wasn't said to you and I'm sorry if you thought it was.

Reply to
TBone

It doesn't matter -- I thought it was funny rach

Reply to
Rachel Easson

HUH????

That quote makes less sense than I do.

waitaminit . . . . did I just say that?

( need more caffeine . . . . need more caffeine . . . . need more caffeine . . . need more caffeine . . . .)

Budd Cochran

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." (John Adams)

***
Reply to
Budd Cochran

Funny how everybody else in the power outlet thread understands it but you. But with your childish actions, I can see why not. Funny how you broadcast this when you are the idiot that claimed an alternator will produce 12 volts at any RPM, which BTW would include ZERO, LOL!!!!!

Reply to
TBone

Ok, got a pot of coffee in me . . .

Absolutes are a difficult concept, they either are or they are not.

Either there is voltage of some value or there is no voltage. Either there is rotational momentum or there is not. These are absolutes, like True or False, pure black or pure white, a switch is on or it is off, etc.

There can be no gray area when applying an absolute, but some do not accept the concept and are absolute in their rejection of the concept.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

The funny thing is that absolutes are few and far between.

Sounds simple, doesn't it. Too bad it often isn't so. The minute there is even a second variable that changes the outcome, absolutes are out the window. Take voltage for example. While there may be a voltage, if the current requirements can change (as they often do in an accessory jack) to apoint where the voltage drop drops the voltage below a usable level, then there is no absolute. The same goes for all of the above examples, even the switch. While the switch may be on or off there could be internal damage causing it to have some conduction under certain conditions (like high humidity) in the off position or some corrosion causing some current limiting in the on position which once again eliminates the absolute factor.

The problem Budd, is that absolutes cannot be applied to most situations. The funny thing here is that there is no gray area either. If you apply power to a circuit, then it has power as it can be measured. If the circuit is incomplete (like a bad or broken ground) then it cannot be "powered" as it will not function. Too very different things.

Reply to
TBone

No, they're not. But you do have to look for them sometimes then accept that they exist.

It is, but you'll try to complicate it.

Is there a measurable voltage? If there is, then it proves my point, if not, it still proves the point.

Then the switch is defective. Yet, even though defective, it proves the point. The switch will fail either "on" (current passage allowed) or "off" (current passage denied). Both are absolutes.

no gray area when applying an absolute, but some do not

Yes, they can.

An absolute truth / fact proving the point.

An absolute truth / fact proving the point that there is no measurable voltage at the power socket.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

And many times, they do not. The minute you have a variable, you cannot have an absolute.

No, I just understand it more than you.

It proves nothing. If the voltage changes for whatever reason, there can be no absolute.

But that is not true. If it were a dry day, the switch will not fail or if the current requirements are below the current limiting of the corrosion that day, the switch will work as expected. Again, no absolutes when varaibles are involved.

situations.

And you would be wrong most of the time as most situations have variables and variables make absolutes impossible.

Once again, you fail to see the big picture.

Sure there is. There is just no ground there which proves my point, there is power but it is not powered. Thanks Budd.

Reply to
TBone

you don't 'apply power'

you apply voltage, and if and when the circuit is completed, current flows

at that point, you have power being consumed

V = E x I

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Are you referring to Ohms law and if so, try getting the equation right. It's V or E = I x R Where V or E = Voltage, I = current, and R = resistance. Your equation puts voltage on both sides which is meaningless. If you were looking for the equation for power, that would be P = E x I. The word "power" in this sentence is being used as a generic term for voltage but you already knew that, didn't you?!?! But if not, just replace the word "power" with the word "voltage" and like magic, it still works. Before you jump on me in the future for using the wrong term, make sure that yours are correct, especially in the very complaint you have against me, LOL!

Reply to
TBone

I find it quite sad that a grown adult has to continue to act this way. What horrifies me is the fact that I was doing it for a while myself.

Reply to
TBone

Ummm... Budd? Didn't you say a few days ago you weren't going to reply to him anymore?

"I will not be replying to you in the future "

Just askin'...

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

We both knew that wasn't gonna happen

Reply to
TBone

well then sayt what you mean, Braniac, not what you think you think

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer